Which amplifier do I purchase: Ameritron AL 80B or ALS 600

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by VE3BXB, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE3BXB

VE3BXB Ham Member QRZ Page

American Shopping for Ham Equipment

I see that someone has made the comment that there is about a $200 difference in price between HRO and most Canadian dealers such as Durham Radio as an example. If you look at the R and L Electronics website you can purchase the AL 80B for $1290 where as in Canada it is about $1530, Radio World is even higher at $1570 Even though the modification for 10 and 12 meters is not in the American models, the price difference still makes it worth while to shop in the USA So for example $1530 - $1290 = $240 plus the HST on the $240 equals a total savings of $271.20 To me this is a large difference in price and I only have to take 1.5 hour drive each way to bring it back home. Speaking of the modification for the AL 80B, I thought that this procedure was inexpensive and easy to do. Any comments?
    I really appreciate the comments that I have been reading. These forums are great If you have a private message to send to me, please send it to the following email address rbesserer@yahoo.com
    Thanks Bob VE3BXB

2. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

WB2WIK: I'd be interested in the AL-80B if it can be pushed to 1 kW CW. Will it do this?

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ameritron can tell you what's involved. Decide for yourself if it's do-able. I bet you can do it... I find Canadians are typically pretty talented. :)

From the AL-80B user manual:
    Can you push it harder? Sure. Will it last as long? For a 0.97 dB increase, I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

4. VE3BXB

Export Modification for the AL 80B

Hello Everyone. I guess it was brought to my attention regarding the 10/12 meter mod for the AL 80B I have read a part of the manual where it states the following:

"A simple modification will allow operation on frequencies above 15 meters. Instructions for this
    modification are available by sending a written request for "Export Modification Instructions along
    with a copy of a valid amateur license. There is no charge for this information. Export models are
    shipped with this modification installed and have an "X" or "Y" following the serial number."

I am not sure if I can purchase an X model where the mode is complete from the USA? Is there anyone that can send me a link that provides the procedures that I would need in order to complete the 10 /12 meter mods. I would hate to have to send in a snail mail letter to Ameritron if I can just simply get it off of the internet. So can anybody send me the link on line for this mod. IN the meantime, I will be investigating the issues to see if an X model can be shipped to me considering that I do hold a Canadian Radio License. Any comments?
    Thanks Bob rbesserer@yahoo.com

5. WA7PRC

Bob,

I found the modification information online for all of the Ameritron amplifiers. It's easy on all of them and extremely easy on the AL80B. You don't even have to heat up your soldering pencil and it'll take only a few minutes. But, if it makes you feel better, you could heat up the iron and melt some solder anyway. ;)

I shouldn't post the info in public so I'll let it go at that. Of course, if you're in the states to buy the "ample fire", just bring your license and the dealer might do the modification for you. :)

6. W2BLC

W2BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

The guy on the other end will never hear any difference between 700 watts and 1000 watts. You, however, will understand the difference when you are buying replacement tubes.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Mine will, no problem. I wouldn't keep it "key down" there, but for regular CW operation, no problem. Mine will hit about 1100W peak on CW sending a string of dits, as indicated on a few true PEP (powered) wattmeters like the 43P. That's actually somewhat higher power than on SSB voice, and it will do that without ever exceeding 150mA peak Ig (provided the amp is heavily loaded). For RTTY I'd back it down to 500W or so.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Go ahead and get the "X" model, then. That should be legal in Canada and the price is the same as far as I know.

The U.S. model "modification" for 10/12m takes about five seconds, though. If you buy the amp new, you have to remove the cover to install the tube anyway.

9. WA7PRC

Bob,

I sent the modification instructions to you via email.

10. VE3BXB

Modifications / ARB 704

Thanks to Bryan I now have the instructions for the mods that I was looking for. I cannot believe how easy it is. Thank you very much. I am sure happy to see the various comments that have been posted on this thread. I am certainly favoring the purchase of the AL 80B My only concern now is I will need to purchase a plastic alignment tool for the back of the amp along with purchasing the ARB 704. I have been told that I may not need to purchase the ARB 704? Any comments
    Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.