Which amp would you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N8FVJ, Nov 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

First week it arrived, the power transformer for the SWR meter & lamps burnt out and when I called the company for a replacement they refused to honor the warranty for this $10 item.
    A month later, the roller inductor seized. I opened up the case and three of the welded-on nuts pop off the chassis bottom.
    I put some oil on the roller wheel and that fixed things for a while. At the same time I noticed a bunch of fine metal filings under the roller inductor , not a good thing.
    A few weeks after that the roller inductor was blocked again. This time the roller wheel came off the roller inductor wiring and a screw that secured the rear of the coil lead came loose.

The funny thing, I do not adjust it no more than 5 times day, only after band changes. I have all the settings written down and only alter them when I change band.
    To circumvent the cheap roller inductor, I preset the coil and then fine tune with the TX and ANT capacitors.
    I should not have bought this cheap antenna tuner and just paid more for a quality Palstar unit instead.

2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

.8 amp peak

3. N8FVJ

Damn, seller backed out stated shipping damage is too high risk. I'll look for a Amp Supply LK-500 with the Peter Dahl transformer.

4. W8NIC

W8NIC Ham Member QRZ Page

:D

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, if the AL-811 is a Yugo the SB-220 is more of a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla or maybe a Chevy Malibu. Reliable, functional, but not fancy.

The big box Ameritrons are more like Cadillacs, Alphas more like Ferraris, etc.

6. N8FVJ

What is a Ten Tec Titan 425. It has a huge Peter Dahl 46lb transformer. I think it could key down 1500 watts carrier for 1/2 an hour.

7. WB2WIK

Not known for reliability, though. Complex circuits that do fail and are difficult to repair.

The popular Henry amps, and the early model Alphas which had no auto-tuning or complex control circuits were very reliable, but just in case were also really easy to work on.

8. N8FVJ

I believe I made a deal on a local Drake L-7 amp. It has a 39lB transformer and that is huge. I can put in a new Capacitor & diode board for $25. I have the parts. Tubes are healthy. What do you Hams think about this amp?

9. WB2WIK

If it's local, why not visit the seller and try it out?

10. N8FVJ

Of course I will try the amp. Have to go there to pick it up. Right?