Which amp: 30L1, AL80, AL-811H

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K7JOE, Sep 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

After the fact BUT for others:

I think we can all agree that the AL-80 be dropped from the list in favor of the A. Budgets can be added to until enough is accumulated and none of those amps are going to disappear soon.

160 is optional and many of the oldies do not have it since the band was power restricted.

SB-220/SB-221/HL-2200's still SELL around $600 or a bit less. I buy functional CB hacked ones for $300-400, less with bad or no tubes, and convert to 6M

The Clipperton L or Clipperton QRO are choices for many that are able to do simple work to them. I use a L at 1100-1200W PEP on AM. Both include 160 and run 4x 572B.

The Hunter 2000A/B with 4 572A or B, and C with 2X 3-400/500 are in the $400-500 range since there is no tuned input which may not even be an issue with many rigs. I use a C version as an AM linear for a solid 1200W PEP. No 160.

Some oldies require a mod to the plate choke for 12/17M or use the Ameritron version.

ALL amps at 25 years or older should have the filter caps replaced, that included my 1986 LK-500ZC and 1976 Alpha 76PA which are used with the modern rigs and even on AM at times. It is VERY CHEAP insurance. Some poorly designed modern amps need PS improvements.

Carl

2. K7JOE

K7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

Good comments and points well taken/noted. Thanks Carl! you always offer good insights.

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When my neighborhood was built (1950-51), the service to each house was 60A.

The houses are the classic post-WW2 "little boxes made of ticky tacky". 4 BR, 1 BA, LR, DR, tiny KIT, unfinished basement. No closets on the first floor. Most people knock out a wall to make one decent size BR out of two tiny ones.

60A was adequate in 1950 because the houses were built with gas heat, gas hot water, and gas stove. In those days, the entire electrical load was a few lights, a radio/record player, a washing machine (maybe), a toaster, a small refrigerator, maybe a vacuum cleaner, a fan or two.....and that's all. TV, computers, microwave ovens, air conditioning, clothes dryers, dishwashers, big refrigerators, stereos, etc., were simply not to be found in these homes. Also, many of the "big" items would be used one at a time - the toaster, vacuum cleaner and washing machine would not be in use simultaneously.

The electric service to my house was upgraded at least twice - first to 150A and now 200A.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If the price point is around $600.00, you are obviously looking at a "previously owned" amp. I (personally) would have to see any such amp in actual operation. (NO "it worked last time...") I know, that limits you (or him) to local sources, but shipping one or both ways can be a substantial expense.
    That said, the amp that uses the 3-500 variants is probably the best buy and most forgiving, and a single 3-500 is probably not much more expensive than a set of 4 811a's. Replacing the 811A's with 572B's would be MORE expensive than a single 3-500 in most cases.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  5. K1QAR

K1QAR Ham Member QRZ Page

The 30L1 has a lot less dissipation. 40 W AM carrier vs about 125 for the 500Z. But it has negative feedback, cleans up the signal, so its neighbor friendly for the urban guy. Also that "tuning" meter helps set the load.