ad: chuckmartin

Which Amateur Radio Organizations Should I Be A Member Of?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by KF5VGK, Mar 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5VGK

KF5VGK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks again everyone for your comments. To start, I will deposit my money here (QRZ) and the ARRL .

2. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

CW Operators Club, get info at:
    http://www.cwops.org/
    The run the CW Academy to teach CW to any ham and to help current CW operators increase their speed. The also represent the best interests of the Amateur Radio Service.

Northern California DX Foundation, Info at:
    http://www.ncdxf.org/
    Non-profit foundation to raise and donate funds to DXpeditions world wide. There are many DX foundations and all are worth while. DXpeditions to rare entities are very expensive and many times dangerous. Many are to wildlife sanctuaries and are joint ventures with wildlife biologists who gather info about the state of native wildlife in remote uninhabited location. The recent DXpedition to Bouvet Island was aborted for safety reasons. The expidedtion cost was in the neighborhood of $500,000 much of which came from grants from foundations like NCDXF.

American Radio Releay League ARRL, Info at
    http://www.arrl.org/
    Benefits are overseas QSL service, Manage Logbook of the World (LoTW) which you don't need to be a member to use, Sponsor many contests and operating activities and awards programs. In past times I would have said that they represent the best interests of most hams in legislative matters, but I haven't been impressed with their initiatives in that area for a while. But that being said, I still recommend that all active engaged operators join the ARRL and voice their opinions and concerns as they have the most influence in the direction of Amateur Radio in the US and arguably beyond. Therefor, knowledgeable, active engaged hams need to exert their influence over the ARRL board of directors.

Welcome aboard! and see you on the bands.

K8BZ

KF5VGK and AB2RA like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

ARRL is cool and ARES is also alot of fun and very useful in a disaster too.
    Red Cross uses them, Counties use them, even old folks homes use ARES.

KF5VGK likes this.
  5. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not necessary to be a member of any of them. Until you figure out which suits your requirements best, dont worry about it more than you have to...

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good choices. I belong to those as well.

Have you logged into the ARRL site and selected email updates you want ? I have contests and solar info sent to me weekly.

KF5VGK likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to be clear, QRZ is a service, not a club or "amateur radio organization" in the traditional sense. I could be wrong, but as far as I know, QRZ doesn't engage with regulatory bodies and lobby like the ARRL does. Local clubs vary, but the point to many is to be a gathering of like minded hams, doing like minded things. I have belonged to contesting clubs (NCCC), DX Clubs (NCDXC), local clubs that run area repeaters (PPFMA, others), etc. Depending on your interests, you might want to see what's local, or support more national/international organisations that represent your interests, like AMSAT.

What's right for you is up to you! I am a life member of the ARRL, and support several local clubs currently.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    KF5VGK likes this.
  8. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For me, it's ARRL (Diamond Level), FISTS, SKCC, 10-10 International, QRZ (Life Member), my Club www.W7DK.org, CQ Magazine, INDEXA, and a few others I can't recall off hand.

I believe in supporting as much as I can in Amateur Radio - if the hobby doesn't support itself, it will just wither and die

Dave
    W7UUU

KF5VGK likes this.
  9. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out your local A R E S team, you will be pleasently supprised.

10. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

Life Member (40 years--just got the pin in the mail yesterday) of the ARRL though I am no longer any sort of league "official" (I was an SM) or appointee (numerous positions in field organization)---nor do I necessarily agree with the current direction of the league. Also a supporter of QRZ (though I don't always agree with their policies) and I am a member of the Central Oregon DX & Contest Club. Founder of Cops Contest Club. That's it these days

NE1U likes this.