Which 2-Meter FM Mobile Rig To Buy?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3BQA, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N3BQA

N3BQA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the market for a new 2-meter FM mobile rig. I'm looking for simplicity in programing & operation. Only interested in 2 meters, no dual band rig. Simplicity is the priority! What's available?

2. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

The best one on the market is the one you like.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

They may or may not have the best prices but if you check out the Universal-Radio site they have great photos and specs on about all of the available rigs for you to compare.

4. K3NXU

K3NXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking what radio should you buy is almost like asking what car should I buy.
    Kenwood, Icom and TYT all make nice single banders.
    The ultimate choice is yours.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/Radios.html

5. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have a bunch of Icom 2100H, work as they should.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If you want simplicity in programming and operation, I sure wouldn't recommend a new radio. I'd recommend a KDK.

Otherwise, I have a FT-2900R that I thought was the best bang for the buck when I bought it. It is easy enough to use. I can't say it's that much better than any of it's peers though, I haven't used any of them.

7. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

FT-1900R also, as well as FT-2900R. good price. might want to consider FT-7900R ( 144, 430 MHz ) because the control head separate, easier to install. modern car have not space often. install main unit under passenger seat. FT-7900R has mic connector on control head. just ignore existence of 430 MHz band. simplest way to operate 144 MHz band is that put most used repeaters in a area, and popular simplex frequencies. almost most of the time, all I use is changing memory channels. that is simplest, and safe while driving. adjusting VFO for repeater tone frequency and shift while driving is not good. some radio you can make it , so it only go to memory channels like commercial radio.

8. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No one can intelligently answer you until we get a little more information. In which vehicle will it be mounted? If limited space, might you need a front-firing speaker? Thinking of an external speaker? Do you like using computers to program your rigs? Would you rather just program from the DTMF mic or panel? What do YOU need from a 2M rig - what features are important to YOU?

9. N3BQA

N3BQA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, I should have been more specific. I want a 2 meter mobile rig that will be used specifically as a base unit, no vehicle use. Will not be used with a computer.

10. K0BG

K0BG Ham Member QRZ Page

Same answer!

The reason there are so many different transceivers is simply because each of us has his/her own likes and dislikes. Adding some insult to injury, on-line reviews are almost always tainted in one way or another. As has been suggested many times, go to your nearest dealer and play with the goods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.