Where's the QRS DX?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by NQ1B, Oct 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, but this is not the question I was asking. It is not "how can I work more CW at slower speeds." I'm actually drilling regularly with software as a sort of self-administered CW Ops Academy training. This is not about me.

The question is, "Where is the next generation of overseas CW operators who have not yet had time to build up to 20+ wpm?"

2. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I remember your post. It fits in well with my question here.

If I broke US ops into 3 groups, they would be

1. 10 to 15 wpm
    2. 20 to 25 wpm
    3. Greater than 25 wpm

That's not a typo. I don't see many ops in the 15 - 20 wpm range. But here in the US, there is a sizable community of operators in the 10 - 15 wpm range, with many at the bottom end of that range. And a significant number of them are under 40. My local club is full of hams in their 20s and 30s, and many do CW or are interested in developing CW skills.

Where are the DX ops overseas who are just getting started in CW? If almost all DX CW ops are high speed, that implies that they've been around ham radio awhile, and are not the next generation of hams.

3. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course! Vermont to Europe is easy. Shucks, I can work SSB to Europe no problem. But that's not the question being asked here.

Yes, I have worked a few slower-speed CW contacts into Europe.

4. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Apartments and compromised antennas should drive new hams toward CW, not away from it! When I lived in an apartment, I did a regular mix of CW and PSK31. No phone. (No JT modes back then.)

*THIS* is the key point I was asking about. Here in the US, we are seeing a short-term obsession with FT8, though I don't know if it will last. But CW is still going strong, with multiple groups like FISTS, SKCC, NAQCC, CWOps, Flying Pigs, etc. New hams continue to enter CW.

But I am starting to think that this interest in CW among new hams is a US thing. Even if overseas licensing still requires passing a code test, that doesn't mean people use it after getting their licenses.

I hope I am wrong.

WD4IGX likes this.
  5. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just call them on your speed. If he is good op, he will be slower; if not, he is not worthy of you anyway.

AD5HR, WA7PRC, KD2RON and 1 other person like this.
  6. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some DX hams are in SKCC. I hear them calling around the usual SKCC hangouts, 7050, 14050, etc. They generally send at slower speeds. If you get yourself an SKCC number, you might be able to work some of them. I hate to do it, since I can't give them a number.

Hams like DL5YL, who are widely known to be YLs, always have a lot of stations calling them. Perhaps American YLs who want to work CW DX should append their callsigns with /YL and/or assign themselves YL numbers.

And finally, there's this: most hams who have two or three contacts a day find their speed increases significantly over the course of a couple of months or so. That was definitely my experience. So, have lots of QSOs at whatever speed you are comfortable with, and, in the words of WB2WIK, "in a few months you will wonder what the fuss was all about."

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

DX / CW / SPEED
    Yes SKCC has many members overseas, there is even a monthly "Sprint" for Europe you could tap into.
    The problem , lately , being poor band openings on the DX bands, where the DX ops try to QSO as many callers as possible in the limited time openings exist. To do that , you have to go QRQ !
    I suggest doing your CW speed buildup,, working the stronger signals that may be your neighbors and not real DX !
    You could put up some BIG wire antennas and work some good DX this winter on 80, 60 and 40M CW ! ( B I G wire antennas, or T A L L verticals required )

8. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've noticed that as well, but I always attributed it to:

• Some countries restrict power output for new licensees
    • Many city dwellers and suburbanites do not have the room to put up a 40m antennas
    • We are lucky in the US to have disposable income and afford 100w rigs. Other populations are not as fortunate and work with simpler low powered rigs

They're out there, you just might not be able to hear them. ;)

NQ1B likes this.
  9. SA4BRL

SA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

For Europe, try around 7.028 MHz. Often slow QSOs. I keep meeting the same hams from Italy and Germany over and over again...

10. NQ1B

NQ1B Ham Member QRZ Page

Already got 'em. Full size 160 meter dipole, 40m 1/4 wave vertical, amplifiers, 300 ft Beverage...

US7IGN likes this.