Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AI6DO

AI6DO Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, I misspoke a bit earlier. I can adjust the VFO A knob easily in either direction with just my left thumb. Don't need the forefinger for that, even if it could reach.

73, Ryan AI6DO

WD9EWK likes this.
  2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Not too long ago, I ordered an antenna analyzer from Amazon that covers from 140 MHz to 2.7 GHz. I didn't have anything that covered above 450 MHz, and really wanted something that covered the 1.2 GHz band. This little box does a decent job, and appears to be in line with the readings in the 2m and 70cm bands from the Comet analyzer I have.

When I checked my 10-element eBay 1.2 GHz Yagi with this analyzer, I saw that the SWR was surprisingly good. I put this antenna on the handle for my Elk log periodic:

Antennas_with_analyzer.jpg

Here is the reading of the antenna at 1267.330 MHz, the low end of the range I use when working AO-92's L/V mode:

1.jpg

At 1267.360 MHz:

2.jpg

And at 1267.390 MHz:

3.jpg

Looks pretty good.

This antenna has been an improvement over the small 5-element Yagi I originally used when working AO-92 L/V. I haven't used that smaller Yagi in some time, since I am happy with the performance of this Yagi I purchased from eBay.

Someone mentioned on Twitter that they are using this antenna for SOTA work. In the USA, the national FM simplex frequency for the 1.2 GHz band is at 1294.500 MHz. While holding the 1.2 GHz Yagi, I checked its SWR on that frequency:

4.jpg

5.jpg

A bit higher at 1294 MHz compared to 1267 MHz in the satellite subband. Still an option for an antenna, especially improving on duckie antennas found on HTs.

73!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    KS1G, N4QX, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.
  3. KE8AKW

KE8AKW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Patrick, I recently ordered that analyzer after seeing a few people on twitter using it for checking their new L-Band antennas. I ordered one last month for our antenna refurbishment project. I got to say it works great despite being only $150. For those wondering its a AAI N1201SA. I think it definitely beats out the RigExpert which costs almost $1k. In our antenna refurbishment project, we put a 45el Loop Yagi to start getting into L band. While we don't have a radio quite yet for L Band use, we have a friend who will sell us a Kenwood TM-942 for a great price which has 1.2ghz with 10W of TX power. Only drawback of this radio is I believe it only has 10khz tuning steps which will prevent me from getting in some portions of the pass, but it should allow me to make a few good Qsos. This should work good as a temporary L Band radio, until we can afford something like a 9700. I hope to be fully back on the air with the new antennas by the end of next week. Looking forward to it!

4. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't go to L band, but RTL-SDR.com just had a post today on the NanoVNA. It's about $70 on amazon and getting great reviews. 50kHz to 900MHz only, though.

KS1G likes this.