Where's AO-92???

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K6LCS, May 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi!

Within the past hour, AMSAT switched AO-92 into L/V mode.

AMSAT.jpg

73!

2. WD9EWK

Hi!

A fun AO-92 L/V pass starting at 9.40pm PDT this evening (0440 UTC Friday). I first heard N6RSX in southern California, and was able to work him. Then W7QL in Utah joined in. A nice three-way roundtable. I wasn't able to get into the earlier pass to my east, as its maximum elevation was just over a degree. I won't try the 5.4 degree pass around 11.15pm PDT (0615 UTC Friday). Tomorrow morning, if I'm home and can free up a few minutes, there is a pass just after 10.45am PDT (1745 UTC) I might try.

73!

3. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Question:

I was listening in on 14:45z L-band pass this morning, and at least twice the transponder reset right in the middle of a a very strong qso. I know it does this when no signals are being received (and "boots up" with a Veronica beacon), but is it supposed to do this in the middle of a very strong uplink?

BTW, I heard N8HM, N1T, K8YSE, and at least one other station who's call escapes me at the moment....

4. W9EXP

W9EXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well tried to get in on the 0300 pass last night with the 5 element inside the screen, heard some scratching on the tape but that was it. Did hear WB8RJY and AA5PK later in the pass great signal on both. You might know thanks to the storm my 1216 is showing up today, well there's next weekend .

5. N8HM

N8HM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't hearing the tones very well this morning. There was a lot of weird noises. There are L band radars that might have been interfering with the uplink, but its likely that one or more of the stations was not using a tone. I double checked and definitely was sending a 67 Hz tone.

WB8OTH was also in there.

K3RLD likes this.
  6. WD9EWK

It was also tougher to get in for the 1746 UTC pass (10.46am PDT) this morning, when the morning passes from the north have been the easiest for me to get in early in a pass. I heard Veronica, and it was about another minute before I heard myself. AO-92 was up around 25 to 30 degrees elevation when that happened. Carlos W7QL was also on, so at least I wasn't talking to myself. It is currently overcast here in Phoenix, but clouds haven't been an issue in the past.

And with that pass, that's it for L/V until next weekend...

73!

7. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, of course. I keep forgetting that the Fox's don't require a continuous tone.

8. W9EXP

The 1216 just arrived. Question to the group that have 1216s are anyone else's reflectors bent at a 45 deg angle towards the radiator ? The box didn't look damaged.

9. W9EXP

A picture works better DSCI083422.jpg
    DSCI083422.jpg

10. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page