ad: GNOHF-1

Where'd the Yaesu FT-817ND go??

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1KJL, Mar 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They have a parts shortage, specifically with the knobs based on what the latest stories out there are saying.

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm wondering if they didn't devote their production to dumping a bunch of 991s on the market quickly, and put other products aside temporarily.

3. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally tracked down an FT-817ND from HamCity in CA. They had just received 3 of them the day before I called. I ordered it and they shipped it same day. When I received it, I immediately looked at the serial number to see its manufacturing date. Turned out it was 6Fxxx... meaning April 2016. So based on that, they are still being manufactured in its current form.

4. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

I received one last week from HRO, Denver as well.

5. W0SPA

W0SPA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Denver HRO has them in stock again. Guys at the store told me Yaseau had to find a new source for the front control knobs as the old manufacturer went out of business.

6. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

That, and fix the silly charging thing where you have to tell it to charge, in order to charge. It's not something that should be done: Plug it it, charge if there's current available to do so.

KC9UDX and KF7PCL like this.
  7. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

Also a real charging circuit and not a dumb timer based one

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

That's basically what I was saying :)

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a fact Jack! I was beginning to think I had a bad battery on my newly acquired 817ND....then I carefully read the instructions. Yaesu definitely bucked tradition with a charger that has to be told to what to do. Then again these little quirks are sometimes heartwarming to aficionados!

I believe the shortage problem has been fixed. I got mine through HRO. Some people were saying that the 817 might be updated and that was the reason it was unavailable. However, others said that Yaesu typically overlapped a unit about to be retired with an updated unit. Apparantly there are those who desire to get the last of kind. Especially for a unit that has been as popular as the 817.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  10. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm trying out the Windcamp 3000mah setup on mine, as I had pretty much written off the included battery anyways.

KC2UGV likes this.