Where'd the Yaesu FT-817ND go??

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by W1KJL, Mar 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I know the Yaesu FT-817ND is a popular radio (I want to buy one), but it's completely sold out at the usual locations. Can't seem to find one anywhere...

Ham Radio Outlet
    AES Ham
    Gigaparts
    Ham City
    etc....

Anyone know why there is such a current shortage? With Dayton coming up, I'm wondering if there's a replacement model coming out. Thoughts??

Thanks,

Kevin, KB1OBG

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Universal Radio doesnt list it as out of stock on the initial order page..didn't check further

3. AF6WL

AF6WL Ham Member QRZ Page

DX Engineering show stock

It's had a good run, however I would not be surprised if the FT-817ND production days are numbered ( same for the FT857 ; the FT897 is already gone) :
    The Collins mechanical filters are discontinued.
    Yaesu are desperate to promote Fusion C4FM.

A new mobile and portable seem inevitable ... it's just a case of how soon.

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Time for the "photo" of the 817 with the IC-7000 display to rear its head again. Since the filters are optional, this should not affect the sale of the 857 or 817. However, if the KX3 is giving the 817 a run for it's money, the 817 may soon be bye-bye. You can get non-mechanical filter modules from China for cheap, and they do work, but not as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

ahoy

put in 1 kHz Chinese filter
    yup it's not Collins
    but well worth the money

dit dit
    mac

KC8VWM likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah but an hour later you'll need another kilohertz :rolleyes::D

Dave
    W7UUU

KJ4VTH, KV6O and AA9SD like this.
  7. KB8GYU

KB8GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know if there is a replacement. I love mine and have great fun with it on psk31. People can't believe I am only running 5 watts.

KB8GYU. Dana

In my opinion worth it's weight in gold.

8. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope they don't do what Icom did and drop their QRP line. It will be disappointing if they discontinue it and don't have a replacement in a equally small and portable form factor.

It would be nice to see them transition to Li-Ion batteries though

9. WA7ANT

WA7ANT Ham Member QRZ Page

I called HRO Portland to find out what they know. Apparently Yaesu made a location change for their shipping warehouse in CA, and it shook up their shipping schedule. Per the HRO employee I spoke to, the 817 has not been discontinued; however, it's going to be late April before they get any more Yaesu transceivers of any model.

KF7PCL likes this.
  10. KB8VRU

KB8VRU Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of rumors on the web...
    I'm in the market for a 817 in the next month or 2
    hoping Dayton brings a 818
    Not sure I can make it down there, in other hobby's when there's an announcement of a new product it's plastered all over the web. I have been out of the ham radio hobby for awhile and am getting back started so I might not be up to snuff on how it works.

So are there any credible rumors?
    Do company's like yaesu have live feeds for product reveals?
    thanks
    Bob
    KB8VRU