Where to tune on a busy band?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ7LPI, Mar 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you asking such a question??
    It is pretty much BAD MANNERS to tune up on a frequency without using a dummy load.
    You need to have one even though most "hams" don't bother to have one or seemingly know what one is for.
    IF you are only tuning your antenna tuner then do so after asking QRL? and then at 10 watts or less CW...

2. KJ7LPI

KJ7LPI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry I ask such dumb questions. Not sure how to tune my antenna tuner with a dummy load... unless I’m trying to transmit using the dummy load.. which I’ve heard can work. Would you care to explain it to me?

K2CD likes this.
  3. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a dumb question at all and others have given good advice.

A dummy load won't help here. If you had a 50 ohm non reactive load you wouldn't need the tuner.

An antenna analyzer will help. You can use it to adjust your tuner and not bother anyone....unless they are across the street trying to copy a P.W. signal. :)

4. KJ7LPI

KJ7LPI Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks

5. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, OM, not directed at you. It's the natural order of things, it seems, that you find a DX station you want to work and as you're about to call, some meat head spends 2-3 minutes tuning up 700hz into the bandpass and just wipes everything out.

Which, incidentally, if you're going to tune on an active frequency do it exactly on the suppressed carrier frequency. Chances are very good that most reasonably modern radios will ignore it as it's below the filter skirt. The problem comes in with radios that will display the suppressed carrier frequency but have a cw offset applied so they transmit a nice, loud ~700hz tone to people listening on SSB. That's often the aforementioned meat head. In addition to the tone, which modern dsp can quickly dispatch, the signal level really does a number on the receiver's agc.

To answer your original question, try to slide off a little if it's clear and be quick about it. Use the absolute minimum power that the tuner requires. ID quickly and move along.

Inasmuch as we'd all like otherwise, there are many perfectly effective antennas that are not a 50 ohm load. And even if they were, any antenna that you'd have would have a high enough Q that you likely wouldn't get an entire band out of it without touching up the edges a little.

6. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's another option called a Noise Bridge which will allow you to get close to where you want your antenna tuner to be without you having to transmit. There were commercially made units available. Palomar sold one if I remember. Then there were a lot of articles in the periodicals outlining their use and how to build one.

7. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's all true but you took my post out of context. That sentence was in reference to a dummy load that someone else brought up because they weren't paying attention.