Where to take test in Bridgeview, Illinois?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by ONETECHYGUY, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. ONETECHYGUY

ONETECHYGUY QRZ Member

Hi, I am waiting for my first radio to arrive from ebay, a htx-202. I want to get licensed soon but don't know who I should talk to or where to go to take the test in my area. If anyone has any information that would help I would appreciate it. I am located in bridgeview, Illinois. Also, can I do a transmit test on the radio when I get it, or do I have to wait for my license?..Thanks

2. KB1RRX

KB1RRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I am certainly no Elmer, but you can go to this link, plug in some info and it will pop up with some exam locations.

73, Tom
    KB1RRX

3. W6ANF

W6ANF Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio test location...

I think he forgot this link:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?State=IL

Rick W6ANF :rolleyes:

4. KB1RRX

KB1RRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but you cannot transmit on the hams bands AT ALL until you have your license. Actually, you need to have passed the Tech exam and then wait for your name and callsign to appear in the FCC database. Once it's published there, you're good to go.

If you can find someone with a 'dummy load' - a dummy antenna that does not radiate (much) RF, you could connect that to your HTX202 and test it that way, without actually transmitting a signal on the air.

6. W6ANF

W6ANF Ham Member QRZ Page

On the other hand, grab someone near you who DOES have a license. As long as they are present as the control operator, you are free to do whatever that person's license class will allow!

Have fun,

Rick W6ANF

7. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WA4TM

WA4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.