where to get Echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by W8PLB, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8PLB

W8PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

i was just wondering, where do i get Echolink and do i need a radio to use it?

2. KD0LOS

KD0LOS Ham Member QRZ Page

To download echolink, you go to http://echolink.org/ You do not need a radio on there but you will need to have a microphone plugged into your computer if you want to transmit.
    Hope this helps
    Joe KD0LOS

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are two ways to get into EchoLink.

First, you can find a repeater or simplex node near you that has it. Then, you will need to talk with the owner/sysop of the EchoLink node on that frequency to find out the control codes. Then, you can use touchtone commands to connect to other remote nodes, and disconnect when you are done.

The other choice is to use your PC with a microphone. Running the EchoLink software, you are presented with a list of nodes - thousands of them - that you can connect to. Then, you can connect to the remote nodes via the Internet.

Sometimes it can take some work to scare up a QSO, but be persistent - you will find people on eventually. I find that some of the conference servers are fairly active. Be mindful of the local time in the places you are calling. If you connect to a system in England, for example, at 10 p.m. our time, it will be 2 a.m. there.

4. KW7RF

KW7RF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.