Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Sep 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I heard a bit on 40m but in the past 3 weeks a horrible noise is blasting here up and down the bands, and didn't get better when the storm subsided. I've got to go pole pounding (it's not in the house... already checked that). Time to get out the detective tools... :oops:

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I seem to have more line noise on 40 than I do on 75 and 160.

3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to have more noise on 80 meters then 40.
    I have a fan dipole so both antenna's are in the same spot.
    Its not very high level noise, the plazma TV someone had must have crapped out as that seems to be gone.
    Used to make a hash of 80 meters most times, but only in spots.
    This weekend was really good, 1/2 an S unit of noise on 80 and 40 meters, and skip conditions were good and stable.

4. KD2ACO

The power lines in this particular neighborhood are really bad. The several blocks around me were built in the '20s and every drop looks pretty vintage. We get noisy insulators and other problems on a regular basis. I built a parabolic mic from an old mag article to locate sizzling hardware and it works splendidly! When ConEd knows which pole to look at, they are pretty quick. My wife, who's a broadcast engineer, is an expert at crying and playing dumb when linemen show up and say they can't find the problem... it's really funny! :p She'll point to the pole we localized and tell them through the sniffles that she saw sparks up there and sure enough, they'll find a dirty or cracked insulator. This happens about every 2 years and we've been here for ten.

Several years back, we had one phase of the line to the house go intermittent and it was blowing up our computers and studio equipment. I was out shopping when the repairman showed up and he hooked a Maytag sized load to our power meter to figure out where the bad connection was. He didn't blow anything open and started to pack up his truck when Jen started wailing, "You don't understand! My husband will beat me if you don't fix the problem!"

I got a puzzling text that said to stay away for 30 more minutes. The lineman went up to our drop, pulled on the wires, and the bad one popped out in his hand. He was surprised the load didn't blow the connection open...
    wire to house.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  5. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, that's a serious way to approach the field crews for the utility company. But got the job done .... :mad:

6. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Brett, who is your neighbor? I have a plazma 42" Panasonic, hi hi FB, I could sell them.

7. N2DTS

It used to be on almost all the time, so I think it was the people on one side, the woman worked from home...
    I have not heard it in quite a while.

My house is quiet somehow.
    And I finally figured out why the kitchen ground fault kept tripping and fixed it.
    I put clamp on chokes on the cords, but forgot the fridge.
    I turned the breaker off and put some caps across things at the GFI, and when I opened the fridge to get something I found the power off.
    It has its own outlet behind but its on the GFI. Must make a great antenna.
    Put to chokes on the cord and I no longer trip the GFI.

8. KD2ACO

Unfortunately around here, if you don't take drastic measures, repairs don't happen.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some people turn on the TV as soon as they get up in the morning and it runs all day until they go to bed at night, whether they are watching anything or not. That would drive me crazy, with the thing blaring in the background all the time. Reminds me of the novel 1984, where everyone had a telescreen running non-stop propaganda and drivel, and it couldn't be turned off.

Maybe she wore the thing out, or lost so many pixels that she decided to get a new TV.

I have found that it's the audio that makes TV commercials so annoying. On the rare occasions when I watch something on a commercial channel, I usually mute the sound when a string of commercials comes on. I have noticed that I actually pay more attention to the video portion with the sound off. Maybe TV commercials would be more effective if they made them all silent and used sub-titles. People might actually watch them.

I'm happy to say I have not seen a single political TV ad this whole season.

10. N2DTS

Don, you are missing out, the political commercials are the funniest things on!