Where is everyone?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by KA4KOE, Sep 22, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesterday afternoon I had a few QSO's on both 75m and 40m before that horrendous storm system moved into northern Iowa, Minn, and Wi., which brought about one lightning crash per millisecond, or so it seemed..

Phil

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I listen all the time on 3880 but seldom hear anything AM or otherwise but I'm more or less "in the city" with a fairly poor antenna (ladder-fed vee with the apex at only about 45 feet and a tighter included angle than I'd prefer so 80/40 are not strong bands for me)

I am hoping to see some AM this winter though, using my DX-60b / HG-10 paired up with my fully-restored SB-301

Dave
    W7UUU

3. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Last night (Thursday), Jay W5JAY and his wife dropped by for a visit on their way back home from VA. Jay called Tim, W3TIM on the phone and we set up a QSO on 3705. Good condx and we carried on for over an hour. John in Nashville joined us and we carried on a three-way, until Tim decided to sign out and Jay and I decided to get off the air and visit with each other. I think John had plenty of others to talk to after we left, since there were a bunch of weak "breakers" I couldn't hear very well, about the time we were signing out. Maybe there'll be more activity "down below" as the band continues to move out of the summer doldrums. I'd like to hear more AM activity in 3600-3700 as well.

4. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I talked with Tim for a bit right after you pulled the big switch.

5. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have my AM exciter done yet, in my so-called spare time. I'm trying to get DXCC on 40 meter QRP JT-65/9 by October 15 (60- days from the start) at about 1-1/2 hours per evening, plus doing my manual labor here at the farm about 10 hours a day -- at age 69 ( I finally got Finland during a water break this afternoon).

I think I might be getting too old for this pace. Oh well, one way or another it will keep me from growing old.:eek: I seem to be wearing out my tattooed cigarette-smoking 20-something "ex-offender" helpers while I try to find them good jobs to get them back on straight and narrow paths.

I should have some time for BOTA operations at our beach home from January through March 2017 between my Harry Homeowner projects. My smoke-and-belchfire DX-60B should be on the air running Class AB1 AM, through an SSB voice clipping/compressing processor by the end of January into a clandestine HOA and lightning-scaring piece of wire.:D

Ken
    K8KJG

6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Had a nice qso with Bob, WA1OJB on his Valiant.
    Conditions on 40 were good.
    I think there was a contest but most people were on 20 in the morning and only a few were using 40 meters.
    I used the 3x 4-400 rig at first but switched to the 2x 4x150 rig modulated by 811's.
    Bob was using a 75a2a which he said was a rare prototype that used xtal and mechanical filters...

7. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably because it is limited to channelized slopbucket.

8. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Last night around 0400 GMT the static was moderate, but practically no activity in or around the 75m Ghetto, AM or SSB. The usual bunch on 3892 and a SSB QSO down around 3860, but absolutely nothing in between. A few years ago that would have been completely unthinkable during a Saturday evening. Then, I heard Sid KG4NVZ calling CQ, and we had over an hour-long QSO. No readable breakers the entire time, even though I could hear some weak AM activity in the background, but never could figure out if they were calling us, or if it was a distant QSO, west coast maybe. I hope activity picks up as the summer static subsides.

I listened on 160, and WA0RCR's bulletin transmission was coming in loud and clear, but too much QRN to try to launch a QSO.

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

40 meters was good today, I was on for 5 hours, loads of great signals, under s1 noise level!
    Just like old times almost.

10. KD6VXI

KD6VXI Ham Member QRZ Page

I just finished a 5 way QSO, mostly Arizona to New Mexico, had a Colorado Springs station as well.

Highlight was talking with Jim Garland, W8ZR.

--Shane
    KD6VXI