Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Christmas with the Kranks

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

A sometimes forgotten movie with a considerable amateur radio theme in its plot
    is this 1956 French feature film "Si tous les gars du monde" ("Race for Life").

40164169_486689768491183_4262951536033792000_n.jpg

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    F8WBD and PU2OZT like this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

The movie "The Bank Job" was on TV the other day. It's a true story about the largest bank heist in British history. The bad guys ultimately get foiled by a radio operator who overhears the robbers' look-out talking on a walkie-talkie. At first I thought that they had got it wrong, since walkie-talkies operate on CB frequencies.... but then I realized that this was taking place in London in the 1970's, where there was no unlicensed "CB".

The portrayal was a bit weak, though. The antenna shown was a small VHF discone, and was sitting right next to the receiver.... with no coax cable. The walkie-talkies were shown communicating with the robbers inside a closed bank vault.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a dramatization, not a documentary. ;)

5. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the head's-up may have to go watch it again this weekend.

6. VK2ALE

VK2ALE Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe that Die Hard 2 had a Kenwood TS-940 and an SM220 being used in the back of one of the Psuedo Military trucks.

7. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you look really close at the chariot race in Ben Hur...nah...I don't want to spoil it, You'll see it for yourself.

8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Really like how they used a Heathkit receiver as a transceiver.

Bill - K5MIL
    Advanced Class

9. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

SMOKEY & THE BANDIT !!!!

Ed

10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen ham radio used in a lot of movies, but the worst incident of misuse of ham radio was in a movie but I don't remember which movie it was.

The person was handed a message and told to sent it. He use a Vibroplex chrome plated, jeweled movement bug. He closed the shorting bar and then sent his message. WHAT ! He just disabled the bug by doing so. At least it gave me a good laugh.

Barry, KU3X

PU2OZT likes this.