ad: w5yi

Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

Testament stood out old Henry Abhart, fictional W6DN was portrayed as a likable Elmer the only source of outside information. Have the DVD seem to recall the station was a Collins S-Line, old Transoceanic on the side, stacks of QST's and wall filled with QSL cards. Decent movie if you have the opportunity to see it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    W7UUU likes this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Gut-wrenchingly sad movie.... and the Henry Abhart ham sequences are groaners for how he uses the radios.... too bad.

But WELL WORTH THE WATCH

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  3. N4FLF

Always considered the BBC drama Threads to be the quintessential nuclear war movie still recall the hysteria after ABC's The Day After neither featured amateur radio. There was another nuclear war movie a few years back called Aftermath that featured was appears to be a Swan which amazingly transforms into a Kenwood by my best guesstimate later in the film.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I was referring to the movie "Testament". Nothing to do with "The day after". HORRID movie, that. Piece of crap. "Testament" is very good and does have ham radio content - not well done ham radio content, granted.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN and N4FLF like this.
  5. N4FLF

Playing it now it's been a few years since I watched it. Features a young Kevin Costner & Rebecca De Mornay in a small role as a married couple.

6. W7UUU

Serious???? What service are you streaming it on?? It's VERY hard to find where I am....

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  7. N4FLF

I have the DVD found in a discount bin few years back maybe $2.99. Amazon Prime lists it for rental or purchase.

W7UUU likes this.
  8. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

There were four Nancy Drew movies staring that very cute teenager Bonita Granville. Her boyfriend had a ham station that was featured in one movie, maybe more. One of my granddaughters, when she was a youngster, was a big Nancy Drew fan, saw the movies and read all of the books.

9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

"The Radio Ham" in BBC's 50's Hancock's Half Hour

and its 1976 remake starring Norwegian comedian Rolv Wesenlund, "Radioten" (loose translation: "The radio idiot") episode of "Fleksnes Fatalities".

As the self-centered bully Marve Fleksnes, LA8PV.

This made amateur radio a laughing matter for the Nordic public for years to come.
    Often quoted catch-phrases:
    "I have friends all over the world, but no-one in the neighbourhood" and
    "Get off the frequency, this is my Mayday!"

In more modern times, amateur radio was mentioned in the prelude to the Wallander spy thriller "The Troubled Man".

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

2E0CIT and OH2FFY like this.
  10. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Do you know where you am?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo