Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KC3GSV

KC3GSV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DR. No

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Carl Sagan's "Contact" - both the book and the Jody Foster movie.

Also, "Testament" - 1984 cold war "we just got nuked"

BOTH portrayals are really lame - like cringe-worthy lame.

Another is "Another Earth" fairly obscure movie with HORRID portrayal of ham radio.

I've never understood why directors don't ask around for a local ham somewhere in the studio. Or someone who "knows a ham guy" - to get things right about how hams actually call CQ, how they use their callsigns to ID, etc. So simple but they rarely if ever get it right.

Dave
    W7UUU

PU2OZT, W1TRY and N7ANN like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

TV show Last Man Standing featured ham radio in several episodes and actually showed a pretty modern "shack."

upload_2017-10-5_14-7-59.jpeg

There were even real operating events on the air from exactly that station, but with real callsigns.

4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

of course w6xrl4 is a famous ham from tv. and self proclaimed emcommer

KO4AXU and N6QIC like this.
  5. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

the television series "falling skies" had amateur radio in it several times.

Two times i can think of was a tube transmitter uncle scott used in the beginning of the series, and a yeasu ft 101 transceiver later on in the series. They also had a little kit receiver they made and a couple military radios like the old vietnam era HT.

6. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave,

A couple of years ago, I had some emails back & forth with someone who was allegedly writing & producing an "end of the world" type movie. He originally was asking if my daughter would be interested in appearing in it... but eventually we got to talking about that very thing, how Amateur Radio was portrayed.

He asked me for an example of how traffic is actually sent. I gave him one.

Haven't heard a word from him since. It's been a few years now, so I guess there's not going to be a movie after all.

PU2OZT and W7UUU like this.
  7. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

ERV:

Just before World War II, there were several Nancy Drew movies. Those are shown on a couple of the "cable" television channels from time to time.

The movie in which her boyfriend was an amateur radio operator is "Nancy Drew Detective" from 1938. Here is a "You Tube" for the first half of the movie in which the amateur radio operation is shown:

and the second half where the boyfriend uses the X-ray, really a diathermy, machine to send code:

Glen, K9STH

N6QIC likes this.
  8. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not on cable back then, maybe that is why I did not see them

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

9. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

KN4NSZ, F8WBD and WB7OXP like this.
  10. W5PB

W5PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Not explicitly amateur radio, but "Zontar - The Thing From Venus" seems to be influenced by it. Relevant scenes at 6:30 and 12:50

N6QIC likes this.