Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WF0M

WF0M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought Independence Day implied that ham operators helped relay the messages in morse code, but maybe it was all military use. In any case, morse code over the radio waves saved humanity!

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WB8TCR

WB8TCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just watched this yesterday. Free with Amazon Prime. 0AB4CAC6-B70A-4038-86EE-A9CD975562AB.png

3. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

John Carpenters movie, The Thing.

17773-19343_4411.gif

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I will never forget that movie -- was it Contact? - where they found the boxed up ham station, and were able to assemble it, cable it up, and get on the air. That still slays me to this day.

I think that same movie has these goofballs cleanly tripping the VOX from across the room. Partial credit for not portraying duplex operation, like most movies do.

5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember that episode! Arnie was like, "Oh, crap, this old guy is losing his job!" Then he went to his house and watched him ragchew with friends on his ham rig, and thought, "Ya know, I think he's gonna be okay."

Would have been hilarious if that episode showed the guy's QSO being blown up by some of the knuckleheads on the air THESE days. But I think they were going for "aw, isn't that sweet!"

6. KC7RM

KC7RM Ham Member QRZ Page

7. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Family guy had a ham radio related scene..

famguy.jpeg

WA7VBA, KA3CTQ and WZ7U like this.
  8. KG7CSS

KG7CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

For something different in Anime There Akiba Trip Episode 4 :
    "Ham Radio Fighters"
    "Musen hamu faitāzu" (Japanese: 無線HAMファイターズ) "Sanki Tōsen"
    by Manias January 25, 2017 February 1, 2017
    All the cellphones and devices in Akiba begin exploding. The team struggles to fight the bugged one who uses EM waves to destroy their clothes. The team decides to contact the professor's professor through amateur radio as it cannot be hacked. The only problem is that he is in Brazil, which is on the other side of the world.

A word of warning the show has a lot of fan service, as the only way to save people is ripoff the clothing.

PU2OZT, WG7X and KI7HSB like this.
  9. KI7HSB

KI7HSB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in.

PU2OZT and KG7CSS like this.
  10. WA2RZG

WA2RZG Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems I remember an episode of Emergency (squad 51) in the late '70s where they were trying to track down a "ham" who was jamming or making fake calls on the fire frequencies. Ended up being a kid with an HT. I think they eventually helped the kid go legit.

-wa2rzg