Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

I was watching the movie 'The Big Year' this weekend. It's a humorous movie about birders who compete to see who can spot the most species of birds in a year. It stars Owen Wilson, Steve Martin and Jack Black. The movie is based on a non-fictional movie. My mom has always been a birder so I enjoyed watching the movie and was amazed at the extents that hard-core birders will go to to spot a species of bird. In one part of the movie, they all go to Attu Island, AK which is the westernmost point of AK. During scenes while they were on the island, a woman was using a radio to communicate. Basically using it in a commercial/CB type situation but what caught my eye during the scene were all the QSL cards that were displayed near the operating position of the radio. I need to go back and watch the movie again and pause it and identify some of the calls on the cards. Anyway, I saw the thread and watched the movie this past weekend so thought I would chime-in.

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

ZOMBIES!!

PU2OZT likes this.
  3. KB7WG

KB7WG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sky King.

4. W0FS

W0FS Ham Member QRZ Page

One episode that i believe was (and maybe still is) on the FBI Files, is about the ham and his wife that were murdered on Palmyra Island. They showed him in qso on a schedule with his friend in Hawaii. When he failed to show for schedules, the friend contacted the FBI and the perpetrator was caught in Hawaii after the ham and his wife and the boat couldn't be found at Palmyra. The perp had changed the appearance of the ham's boat when he stole it. Interesting tale.

5. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

IO https://imdb.com/title/tt3256226/
    Margaret Qualley plays a witty scientist, overloaded by instruments, who should have done fine operating her radios simply reading frequencies as displayed. Instead, bands are messed up, deserving the only goof comment on IMDB. As always, so long for the antennas, albeit she duly awaits responses back to her messages, suggesting there's no DSN anymore. Also a bee keeping spot. Enjoyable Netflix film.

Oliver

6. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Andy Griffin, behind the sheriff's desk is an AM/ CW transmitter.

7. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes to TinTin. The numerically created radio shack gear on the ship seemed to be clones of early Collins 32V2 transmitters and 75A receivers. I'll have to pull up my Amazon video again and take a look-see.

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KL7GU

KL7GU Ham Member QRZ Page

W0FS (above) referred to a story on the FBI Files. This is a reference to the book and movie of the same name called “And the Sea Will Tell.” It’s about the murders of Mac and Muff Graham on Palmyra Atoll. The book BTW was written by Vincent Bugliosi, the prosecutor for the Charles Manson case.

W0FS likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Peter Griffin
    Peter_Griffin.png

or Andy Griffith?
    andy-griffith.jpg

:D