Where have you seen ham radio in movies and tv shows?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7TCT, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for fun, but how about a thread about ham radio in movies and tv shows. New shows, old shows, callsigns, equipment, modes, bloopers, whatever.

To start, I saw an Icom IC-718 on a recent 'The Last Ship" episode.

Also, there was a short lived show last year called Frequency that I remember some old iron being used. Maybe someone recognized it and can identify what it was and if it was even legit.

N6QIC likes this.
  2. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe there were 2ea KWM-2 rigs in the Doris Day movie "Glass bottom boat". Funny to see "Klinger (Jamie Farr) and Father Mulcady (William Christopher) both of MASH fame. In this movie they were both hippies that were way out there Hi. This inclusion of Ham radio in this movie got me interested as a young age surrounded by the Silicon Valley where I grew up.

Doug
    N5DMC

3. W7DKK

W7DKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall ham radios in one of the Transformers movies and in War Games.

4. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here are two,

W5PB and N2EY like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The handheld "CB radios" used in the first two Die Hard movies are Kenwood HT's. The shipboard radio used to call the Coast Guard in the third one appears to be a Yaesu rig (one of the FT-101's) in it's side, but it's hard to tell.

There is, of course, the SB-301 "transceiver" used in the movie Frequency. Ugh.

Here's an obscure one for you...

Hershel Bernardi starred in a TV show in the early 1970's, Arnie. The concept of the show was that he was a blue collar dock worker promoted to management, with all the underlying "problems" this caused in his personal life.

One episode concerned a friend/former co-worker of his who is about to lose his job. At one point, he goes to visit his friend, who talks about what he's going to do on now; takes him into a room that is full of gear and QSL cards, and the friend talks about all he's going to do now that he'll have plenty of time to use his ham radio station.

6. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

KD8ZMN likes this.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the TV show, "Halt and Catch Fire", one of the main characters is a ham. A couple of episodes show him operating from his "ham shack", which is a closet in the house.

N5MAV likes this.
  8. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

ALF was one. Willie was the so called ham. His station was Kenwood gear. "In Like Flinn " was another. They used Drake gear.
    Barry

9. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont forget Forest Whittakers rather lame potrayal as WB6QLF in "Phenomenom"

PU2OZT and NS8N like this.
  10. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

The kids in Stranger Things have a Heathkit shack at their school.

Ep1-Heathkit.png

K9KQX, WF0M, W1TRY and 3 others like this.