Where do you CQ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8AFT, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

TNX FOR THE REPLY AND FB REPORT OM!

2. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do you hang on 40? I'll have to be sure to swing through your fave spot when I'm also up late. BTW, power these days at W9BRD is commonly 20 to 25 W out. I've adopted that level in honor of the fact that I started out as WN9CJS in 1969 running a Lettine 240 (6L6-807), running 40 W input. Theory notwithstanding, my rule of thumb after playing with beginner-class radios for decades is that if you're lucky their final-plate(s)-to-antenna-connector efficiency is 60% at best to 50% on average. That would make maybe 25 W out with an 807 tuned just so, with an efficient pi output network. But then to get a better handle on that I threw together a 240 clone one weekend recently, complete with untuned link-coupled output, and I was lucky to barely hit 20 W out at 40 W input. But the bottom line is that I figure that if that 20 to 25 W out with quasi-indoor antennas was so miraculous and fun 50 years ago this August, running that power level with a doublet reasonably high up in the trees should all that and then some now. And it is; every QSO is a renewal of the magic.

My fave spot is around 7120, but 7050 to 7060 and 7090-7095 are also doable anytime. I was Novice for only four months, but it was a blast; I've put up a short writing about that experience at http://dpnwritings.nfshost.com/ej/farewell_to_monrovia.htm.

KC7JNJ and N8AFT like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Found myself a FB Stancor ST-202a 2 weeks ago for under $30 with all the coils, manual and a 40m rock to boot!
    Love putting the old antique ham specials on the air. All rock bound here BTW.
    FB on that doublet! Load mine with 45' of open wire feed line to TV twinlead in the window to the tuner.

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello David,... I'm usually around 7035-7055. The best way to find me is to check the RBN site & see if/where I've been spotted.

Running low power (15w) I usually call CQ a few times to see if & where I'm being heard ,... & then stay on that frequency while I'm up. I'm usually on-the-air, or listening, around 0200Z to 0700Z or so.

Some night when you're up & around, send me a email & maybe we can hook-up.

dit dit

5. MM3ENM

MM3ENM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've decided to monitor 14.285 whilst I'm not actually at the radio and doing other things around the house. Started today, but haven't, heard anything yet. 90% of what I do is portable, but I'll keep my ear open for CQ calls when I'm at home.

6. N5EIT

N5EIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I pretty much live on 10.118 MHz during my (NW LOUISIANA) greyline hours. My life revolves around this operating system... lol... seriously!

10.118 MHz

Calling and replying.

I’ve been turning the rf power down to 1 Watt lately just for the fun of it. Still making Q’s daily!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    W5BIB, KC7JNJ and WN1MB like this.
  7. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

30 meters is good, but 40 is better. More Ops on that band to work. 14.050 on days has many SKCC operators that will answer anything if you can pass a club number?
    You can call all night 0n 80 meters and not get answer.