Where do you CQ?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N8AFT, Jun 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

SURE! :)

2. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I'll play.

I do favor search and pounce when QRP, but I am not afraid to call CQ either, especially if propagation seems solid at the time. Most of my QRP time is on 40M, so these days that CQ would happen between 7030 and 7035.

KU3X and VK3YE like this.
  3. N8AFT

OK, YOU WIN, NOT ONLY A CIGAR BUT A COLD 807!

4. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

The NorCal QRP Society has offered many kit QRP radios. All of the 40M jobs came with 7040 KHz xtals because that is the customary calling freq for QRP.

5. N8AFT

TNX OM Floyd for the 7040 info. I've been hangin out on '60.
    Will give it a try down lower then...

6. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Answer is 'in the clear' and where people will be listening.

Get yourself away from likely or actual signals to lessen competition.

But it's best not to be in a part of the band that's too quiet as fewer people will be tuning and listening there.

7.040 has a lot of WSPR signals.

Most are QRP but they're still competition to your CW.

If you're crystal controlled add a series coil to drop the frequency by a couple of kHz and add a capacitor to get some frequency agility.

FREQUENCY AGILITY IS KING!

More QRP tips at http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/qrp/success.htm

7. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

In Europe the QRP center of activity is 7030 ( https://www.iaru-r1.org/index.php/spectrum-and-band-plans/hf ), with digital-mode work beginning at 7040. Hence 7040 on this side of the pond has for more than a little while been more about RTTY/data DX ( http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf ) including WSPR. So 7030 is now more QRPish than 7040, especially if you are a Believer who expects to "get across" with 5 W or less.

It follows that we should do QRP where other QRP-minded operators are more likely to hear us. Here in northern New Jersey, 7040 is always occupied by digital carriers, a la 3579.545 kHz in era of Never The Same Color analog color TV. So I'd go 7030 rather than 7040 -- but since, as my dad used to say, "Hams love QRM," maybe you like to duke it out with stations who don't hear you because they can't.

With most of the rigs at W9BRD I do QRP by means of power attenuators: By flipping two switches, I bring my 25-W 17KV6A-final homebrew rig, or Drake 2-NT or Hallicrafters HT-40 set to 25 W out, down to 5 W out. (I have another attenuator to take 25 W down to 10, as 10 W out is a historical power point based on the TS-130V- and 5763-final-centric subportions of my ham career, and yet another attenuator [3 dB] to take 10 W down to 5.)

When I do QRP, I may or may not call CQ, and may or may not operate at a QRP calling frequency. One thing I don't do is send QRP along with any of my calls, CQs or otherwise. (I do tell my correspondents what power I'm running.) I omit QRP in calls and IDs mainly because I don't want to pre-filter QSO partners, but also because I happen to agree with a late former coworker of mine, Mike Kaczynski, W1OD, who, ever the wag, opined that QRP operating awards should go not to the low-power transmitting stations but those stalwarts on the receiving end who persevere through noise, QSB, QRN and QRM to complete those precious qualifying QSOs. I don't want those potential awardees to give up on me before we even try.

Nowadays, I find, the greatest enemy of successful late-night QRP work, or even higher-power work for that matter, is Sleepy Old Hams. For much of the history of ham radio, if a ham threw together a portable station or just-for-fun CW rig it would likely be for 40 meters because "40 is always open to somewhere." And that's true -- except that if it happens to be late at night in this milennium, next to no one may be awake and listening, as long series of answerless CQs, cross-checked with the Reverse Beacon Network -- "13 dB over the noise in Arizona!" or a distant web-accessible SDR -- usually reveals.

Best regards, Dave
    amateur radio W9BRD
    fave 40-meter spot, 7120; fave 80-meter spot, 3550 to 3555; bringing up 30 m this weekend

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    W5BIB, N8AFT and VK3YE like this.
  8. N8AFT

TNX OM Dave! VY FB info for us all.
    QSL on the late night dearth of CW ops.
    I go to work at 3:30 AM and at times will try to scare up a 40 or 80m ragchew running QRO around 1 or 2 AM.
    Pretty dead about that time.

9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ain't THAT the truth !! As a grave-yard shift worker for most of my life, in retirement, I'm still up-all-nite. (Old habits are hard to break)
    I find myself at 2,3 or 4 in the morning on 40m, calling CQ & checking the RBN site & listening to myself on several WEB-SDR sites (KFS, UTAH, PA., GA.) - It's almost as rewarding as a QSO.

Strange things DO happen at that time of the day !! One morning around 3 a.m. I was calling CQ & listening to myself on the KFS web/SDR. It was a guy in S.C. answering me (I'm in SW Ala.). I couldn't hear him on my rig, so, I went ahead & had a nice QSO with him via the KFS web SDR. He was hearing my 15watts o.k. on his rig, but I couldn't hear him on mine. Found out that he was running QRP 5 watts. THAT was strange propagation!

About a month ago, it was almost daylight here (1100z/0600 local time), I thought I'd give 40m one more listen. LO-and-Behold !! there's JH1HDT calling CQ on 7028 !! I called him, we chatted for about 5 minutes (him 579, me 449) ! - As the sun rose, his signal faded & I went to bed a happy-camper !! AMAZING things happen with "The GREY LINE" & 15 watts/dipole. :)

Running Low Power (15w or less), I'd say about 98% of my QSO's are the result of answering CQ's, rather than calling CQ.

Well, It's 1 a.m. here, time to go watch the RBN & check out my signal on the Web SDR's. ;):D

dit dit

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    W9BRD and WN1MB like this.
  10. N3RZU

N3RZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just finished Field Day with a Clansman RT320/PRC320 and was using the 3 watt SSB level and a off center fed windom stretched between two Palo Verde trees with the center about 9 feet off the ground. At 14275Khz the SWR was minimal so I bypassed the built-in tuner and ran straight to the antenna balun with RG-58 cable. I was surprised when the first 4 contacts were from the east coast so I worked the rest of the time with the three watts. The best contacts were Puerto Rico at about 3300 miles and Hawaii with 2700 miles between us. Never did work any locals most were at least 500 miles away. It was not easy but if they had a big signal here in Arizona I would patiently keep calling. The radio is basically a military manpack radio with a 24 volt battery and will match many combinations of antennas including whips. The radio covers 2 to 29.999 mhz and has AM, CW, and upper sideband. I just receiver the kit to modify it for lower side band also. A real hoot to use and there are many sites where you can get them. Just google Clansman Radio. There a lot of accessories and prices vary from supplier to supplier so shop around and shipping from UK is also eexpensive. I received mine in six days and it had a full compliment of accessories including a battery charger and a new old stock battery that is very good for being over 10 years old. Look for me on the air, Norm N3RZU

KC7JNJ likes this.