Where do new CW ops come from?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N6YWU, Sep 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of you currently teaching classes or mentoring people to learn enough Morse Code to get on the air, what are the statistics on their operating backgrounds?

Are they brand new licensee's (or people studying for a license) who've never operated on the air before? Or do they mostly have previous experience in another mode? If so, UHF/VHF (HTs and repeaters), SSB, RTTY, digital modes, or other?

2. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

The handful of operators I know in our club who expressed a desire to be taught morse, were all experienced hams with a full licence and therefore had used other modes. Reasons for wanting to know morse were varied. Everything from getting better DX contacts to "A nice idea to know".

W9RAC likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the last twenty years, my experience has been that new licensees were the ones learning morse.

W9RAC and N2EY like this.
  4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K8BZ likes this.
  5. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess (and yes, it's an opinion) is that many new hams want to be in with the "cool kids" and think saying "I'm trying to learn Morse code" is the ticket in. But others are like I was 30 years ago ... enamored by the simplicity and efficiency of the code. I'm from the era where everyone learned code ... cuz they had to. But many (most) abandoned it before the ticket came in the mail.

WD0BCT, W5ESE and N8AFT like this.
  6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Old CW ops.

W1BR, F8WBD, W9RAC and 1 other person like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

"It has to be damp." (Addams Family Values)

8. N8AFT

When you reach the point of hearing loss and tone deafness that you can't understand what's said on the phone bands.
    Plus the zero propagation es high noise levels these past 8 yrs then you tend to wanna look into learning Morse.
    At least that's my story.

WD0BCT, ON4AMC, VE1GA and 3 others like this.
  9. N8AFT

ALL of my 6m AM pals had to learn code and they all quickly abandond it with their class upgrade yrs ago...

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm often surprised by the number of new CW ops I find on the bands.
    One thing for sure they don't come from Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch.

Yep, I'm back was away camping for a week.

WD0BCT, AG5CK and PU2OZT like this.