Where did Conversational QSO's Go?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W3KHG, Jan 9, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Found it,
    The final countdown! :)

220px-Final_countdown_1980.jpg

Google is my friend, God knows i need some!
    :D

I wish i had a little friend!

2. G0TNU

G0TNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Bit hypocritical! :rolleyes:

3. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't remember seeing any 7-11 in Pattaya Beach, must have had too much Singha!! I did have a great time there though, we visited there after a 90 consecutive day tour of the Indian Ocean so we could show the flag! Of course, that was back when Colonel Gaddafi thought he could mess with a couple of F-14s, he sort of lost that little tussle!

73s

4. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

This is the new breed, meaning the last 20 years or so. When they get on the higher bands they are only interested in seeing their country count increase. I have even heard of those that check on how many "look ups" they have on the Zed.

5. W3KHG

W3KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds very similar to Twitter with user’s boasting of the amount of followers to their account. Excellent comment.

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

He probably didn't have a phone number, didn't know how to use the payphones at the airport, wasn't very good at talking on the phone, etc. He had an address, and he handed it to the cab driver. It seems reasonable to me.

It wasn't the same thing, but in Iceland, my wife and I visited a local ham at about 3 in the morning. It was light outside, we were driving around in a rental car, and he invited us over when I put out a call on 2 meters. We didn't have the car the next day, so we took him up on his invitation and headed over right away.

Edited: I just asked my wife, and she thinks we showed up at about 11 PM and stayed until 3 AM.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great story!

In my example, I think my visitor Matias simply took my invitation on the air seriously "If you're ever in the States, please come visit!" and it was a one-time opportunity that wasn't likely to repeat. Didn't bother me at all.

I'm just glad I was actually home. He may have made a very long and pretty expensive taxi ride for nothing if I wasn't.

WD4IGX likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Doesn't matter what time it was, if you were talking to him right then and he said, "sure, head on over."

You would almost always find me awake at 3 AM.

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did Conversational QSO's Go?

Internet?