where can i use voice on hf

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W8PLB, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W8PLB

W8PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

hey all
    not sure if this is the right forum...but does a tech have 10 meter voice privleges?
    thanks
    kd8oqm

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your signal must be contained between 28.300 and 28.500 MHZ.

3. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

First, you are likely going to catch some flak for not knowing this. Not from me, but there are people that will hold you in contempt for not knowing where you can operate.

Yes, Techs have limited voice privileges on 10 meters.

From http://www.hamuniverse.com/frequencyallocations.html

4. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

largly true but your bandwidth may vary. :)

6. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You probably should find an "Elmer"..

There is 12 ARRL affiliated clubs in your area.
    Search the ARRL website and join a club.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, 10 meter SSB from 28.3 to 28.5 MHz.. This is also the only band where you can use digital modes on HF. You also have CW privileges on 80,40, and 15 meters.

When 10 is open, you can work the world with simple gear, though a small yagi will make a huge difference on this band. Even a good rotary dipole is better than a wet noodle.

So far, this fall, 10 has been open on rare occasions. I heard some South American stations on in the DX contest last weekend. The solar activity continues to increase. Today, the solar flux is 83, and it's been up in the 90's several times recently. When the flux gets over 100, we can expect 10 to be open much more often. I suspect it will get there in spring of 2011, but if it's a little late, fall of 2011 will be the next opportunity.

Gear for this band is fairly plentiful. The old Radio Shack HTX-100 and HTX-10 were both very inexpensive, and effective for 10 meter SSB. Try not to pay more than the radio cost new if you do find one. Older HF rigs like the TS-120, 130 or 140, or the Ten Tec Triton or Omni D series can be had for a couple hundred dollars. It might be worth the cost to get a rig that covers all the HF bands. The lower power RS rigs have one advantage - the power supply for your 2 meter rig should run them, too. Higher power HF rigs will need a 20-25 Amp supply.

8. NC4JB

NC4JB Ham Member QRZ Page

A better investment might be $30 spent on a study guide and a test to graduate to general class =) I took the two tests at the same time and had to keep checking the booklet cover to see which one I was taking, because the questions were remarkably similar on both, and General really isn't much harder than tech.

9. KJ6CEA

KJ6CEA Guest

Techs can TX on 10m. 28-28.3-Data, 28.3-28.5 Voice/Image

also they can use CW from 21.025-21.2, 7.025-7.125, and 3.525-3.6.

Like others, I say get a general or extra lisence, it will be way better, print out a HF band plan while your at it.

10. W8PLB

W8PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.