ad: M2Ant-1

Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LHE, May 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My son got his ticket this year. He is 14. I keep encouraging him to upgrade to general maybe he will next year. He tries to check into the local net every week if he remembers, other then that the only one he talks to on the air is me.

MI0YLT likes this.
  2. KT4VOL

KT4VOL Ham Member QRZ Page

It can get hard to find something appealing about amateur radio these days. The idea of talking to people in other countries is no big deal anymore. VoIP service lets you call many countries for pennies per minute with the phone/PC/Mac you already have and without a license, large antenna, or dealing with propagation. Many live in apartments or places under HOAs so they can't have a good antenna. Bring the antenna indoors and you're forced to use QRP due to radiation exposure. And just try mentioning radiation exposure. Ears will close so fast you won't get to say anything about it being non-ionizing. Cell phones are reliable enough that you can only go so far with the idea that amateur radio works when nothing else does. And then there's those million apps in the App Store and Google Play. (Oh, forget Google Play. Apple is cool, Android isn't.)

For some, emergency communications will be appealing. Make the most of it when it does resonate. Be sure they know learning the technical aspects are not just a necessary evil but will help them be more effective in the field during an actual emergency.

Those awesomely cool iPhones wouldn't be so awesomely cool without infrastructure, and someone has to engineer and build it. Amateur radio will let you experiment with building infrastructure and even with similar frequencies. Add Broadband Hamnet for an existing system you can study and use. Anyone can read about how this stuff works, but actually doing it is so much better. If you're in high school now, you can be well prepared for college-level electronics courses. Some will find hardware more appealing anyway. But for those hoping for a pot of gold from writing mobile apps, at least you're in the phone industry without having to deal with disgruntled customers all day long. You can pursue lower-level apps that do useful things rather than the decillionth advertisement-laden match 3 game that forces users to continually cough up 99 cents for power ups so the board can be cleared.

MI0YLT likes this.
  3. W4TGV

W4TGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am 15, and have been licensed for a little over 2 years. I was 13 when I took my Tech exam. I took my General almost a year ago and haven't upgraded to Extra because I haven't found a need for it yet. I am active mostly on 2m and 70cm, but I have the capability to operate 80m-10m (-60m) and I get on 75m every now and then and rag chew. I chase DX every now and then and have operated in a couple of both HF, and VHF contests. I have messed around with SOTA a bit and I like that. I built my own HF antenna. Check out QRZ bio.

KK4TGV

KD2EOM likes this.
  4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think many kids would find 2m FM very interesting. If anything, it would kill their interest if they thought that was all there was to amateur radio.

5. KJ4ZWA

KJ4ZWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Foxhunting on 2 Meter FM is actually one of the things that attracted my interest early on.

6. 2I0GYL

2I0GYL Ham Member QRZ Page

We are about me and my sister love ham radio I like VHF she likes hf
    She has the advanced licence at 15 years old and we both really operate

Maybe you should check out cw hihi Had my first cw contact on 40m
    I am 13 years old
    I love cw it was scary I got a pileup difficult making out morse signals on top of one another when it's your first time
    I was on the icq podcast 212 at 47:50 time
    Ignore the bit about my big sister I do things at a younger age on ham radio and I am far nicer lol
    Here's a link

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/7/c/5/7c5...65715070&hwt=55bf34bc4482a8bc4d9e62c0d088d9b7

Hope to work you guys on the air
    73's

KB0HVB likes this.
  7. 2I0GYL

2I0GYL Ham Member QRZ Page

I love 2 metres I get to talk to everyone I know around Northern Ireland that I have met at rallies from being a youngster

8. N4ADK

N4ADK Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'll add a comment to this old thread :)

I'm a rising senior in HS and I got licensed before the summer my junior year as a Technician then upgraded the next year to General and have been on HF for a while. Before I got involved in HF I was very big into 2m/70cm and I still do check in on the repeaters. I'm a Skywarn Net Control Operator and spotter. I only know of one other young ham in the area who is 20yr old at a local college.

9. KG8CX

KG8CX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I run the Y.A.C.H.T. youth net every Sat. at 7pm CDST on W8PIF-R echolink system. Check in and meet other young hams and older ones too. This is our 9th year as a net promoting youth and ham radio. Go to http://yachthams.webstarts.com/index.html for our webpage.

KM4SII likes this.