Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LHE, May 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NGD

KK4NGD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a 16 year old Extra active on HF, VHF, and UHF.

73 de Jackson, KK4NGD

2I0GYL, AD5KO and MI0YLT like this.
  2. KB3IPY

KB3IPY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed as a Tech when I was 12 (I'm almost 25 now). My dad was licensed at the same time but we never really got involved with a local club. The reason I wasn't on the air much was that I was a shy 12 year old and at that age would have found it very hard to just talk to adults on the local repeaters. I checked into a few local nets but that was about it. Eventually I upgraded to General then Extra and eventually discovered that hf digital modes suited me better. I think it may be hard for all new hams to break into the community but especially so if you are a young teenager and aren't involved with groups that are keeping you active and exposing you to more parts of the hobby.

Dave, KB3IPY

2I0GYL and MI0YLT like this.
  3. MI0YLT

MI0YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Ed
    Will check out the YACHT youth net on echolink I am not registered on echolink but have used it with rf link before but can't get rf link from house will probably register and do it by phone.
    Well Ed you missed the tall ships here in Belfast it was an amazing sight me and my sister grace were at grey point amateur radio society Down at grey point fort a pre World War One gun implacement that operated during ww 1 and 2 the pic is of me at their big gun station hihi this looks across Belfast lough these big guns have been fixed up by hams and were fired during the tall ships.

Could you please please click on my "web" contacts on my QRZ page and anyone reading this trying to get as many as possible thanks in advance its much appreciated

73's from N.Ireland

Byeeeeee
    Summer

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with some of that and disagree with some.

Full disclosure: I earned my Novice license at age 13 in 1967. I lived in a densely-populated middle-class inner-ring suburb of Philadelphia at the peak of the Baby Boom, and there were very, very few young amateurs in my area. (Upper Darby Township, population 95,000 in 1970).

Amateur Radio has always been a niche thing, attracting much less that 1% of the population. I think today, with 730,000 US hams, we amount to 0.224% of the population. The percentage was much lower in the past.

That's because, fundamentally, Amateur Radio is about "radio for radio's sake". Radio as an end in itself, not as a means to another end. Most people don't see the point of that, but a few do.

Young people have ALWAYS had lots of other things competing for their time. In my day, when we wore an onion on our belt (that was the style - and we LIKED it!), there were cars, and sports, and music, and YLs, and the whole "counterculture" thing. Amateur Radio back then was "square" as could be. There was also the cb boom, for those who wanted to talk locally and didn't care about the rules. Why bother with something as expensive and complex as amateur radio?

I agree that they grow up fast. If an amateur gets their license in middle school, within a half-dozen years they're off to college. That's a blink in time compared to adult life.

MI0YLT likes this.
  5. KG4NEL

KG4NEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was licensed in 2001 when I was 15. I was super-active initially working F2 and sporadic-E on 6 meters, but by the time I was in college, I was all but off the air. Ironically, that's when I went from Tech to Extra, I don't think I made one QSO as a General :p

Getting on the air was - and still is - a challenge, as a young ham it's too easy to take for granted living in your folks' home with the chance to install antennas. As an undergrad or fresh grad in an apartment, I didn't have that opportunity.

6. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Very true. Friend of mine in college nailed it for me: he looked at me and stated that I played radio because of the technical aspects, not because I really wanted to talk to people. Decade and a half later, and I rarely play radio--but just cannot give up the hobby. Even though I have nothing to talk about.

Yep, time comes and goes. I recall being a teen and there was no way I was going to go into the military--4 years service was like a quarter of my lifespan! Worse: I basically morphed into who I was around 12-13, so in a sense at age 18 I was "about" 5 years old! I mean, pre-teenage years I played with toys etc; but once the "change" occurred everything was different.

Now 4 years can pass by without me noticing it!

I wonder about getting my kids into radio, but so far they have little interest in even talking on the phone. I have thought about finding some audio amplifier kits and teaching them how to solder, that is something they could use with their iPods. Simple walkie-talkies might be fun too, something they could build, then run around the yard with. Of course, I lack a home station so there is nothing to actually show them at the moment for radio; but in the past they showed no interest when I had one put together.

So far, they seem to lack the nack (subtle reference to Dilbert).

7. KJ4ZWA

KJ4ZWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I got my ticket when I was 13, and I am now 18 and a general class. I am one out of a family of seven, and all are hams. I am on the air when I have time, which is not too often now, as I am an aircraft mechanic. Encourage any kids to get their tickets, it led to me starting a career in electronics(avionics).

Fleet KJ4ZWA

8. KG0YS

KG0YS Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to be one. There is a fairly strong youth ham presence in Boulder, CO, thanks to the BARC Jr club. I was one of the first participants, at the age of 11 in 1991. The club is in a restructuring stage, since the founders retired, but I believe the efforts are still strong.

When elmering young folks in the youth club, I found it pretty challenging to engage and impress them with the hobby, especially in recent years. While ham radio used to be cutting-edge, it can seem pretty lackluster today, especially for those who aren't technically-inclined. Sure, the hobby has adapted with the addition of IP and more digital modes, but the ever-present "why can't I just CALL them?" mindset can be an obstacle.

I remember, as a child ham (and still today), how intimidating it can be to get on the air. Although most operators are pretty patient with youth and newcomers, the bands are still pretty scary places. I still get a good case of mic fright before keying up.

9. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Born in the 80's and started with Novice in 1994, did Extra and GROL/R so been active on HF for over 20 years now. Involved with all aspects of antenna /feed-line design and putting out a clean strong signal. Love audio and radio so that is why I am into it, both AM and eSSB, takes a lot of work to get a good signal. Even started a small business building RF station monitors to help out or community on the air...
    Just spend 17K on custom HF amp and tuner so I hope that there are people around in 30 years when I am the age of all those I speak to now...
    I am in Fort Collins, CO

MI0YLT likes this.
  10. 2E0MLJ

2E0MLJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Youth are definitely here and in the hobby. I'm Mike, 17, I've been running the youth department here at the Radio Society of Great Britain for 10 months now and enjoying it :)