Where Are They?

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KB1LHE, May 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3DCP

N3DCP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll be turning 22 next week I rarely talk on 2m/70cm unless its with some of my ham friends around my age. I'm not really one for striking up a conversation as I'm very introverted (wrong hobby to be in right?) with a stranger but if I know you I can talk away. But I do however hang on HF bands doing contest or digital modes.

2. KW6MOT

KW6MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Im 16 and im jeff and im not very good at typing haha as you can or will tell haha anyway you can read more about me on my page. I also use echolink and i use alll bands cw on hf bands and stuff like that i use 6 2 10 70cm the most and if you guys want to talj and have echolink hit up the KB6OZX repeater in riverside california and i will always be on after 2:45pm western usa i think thats pst maybe but im not 100% sure

3. KG7HBY

KG7HBY Ham Member QRZ Page

I join the YACHT net every weekend, which has lots of kids on the air. Also, I have a weekly QSO party on Fridays using Echolink for kids and adults. There are other nets run by kids throughout the country. In Nevada, there are only about a dozen or so kids with licenses, but I am not sure why. I use 2M or 440 all of the time with my dad instead of a cell phone. My brother is 14, and he thinks radio is cool but he doesn't want to get a license. I am not sure why.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

probably busy talking on their headsets through their X-box 360's while playing Halo....

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If I hear a young person on the radio, I will make a point to have a meaningful conversation with them about whatever topics they care to discuss. I want to keep them interested in the hobby, and not run them off like the old farts I encountered when I first wanted to get licensed.

AC8PI, 2I0GYL, AD5KO and 1 other person like this.
  6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We NEED these kids to prolong the amateur radio service/hobby. I built my first Griefkit CB when I was 9, along with a vertical dipole with direction from my dad. Having ADD, I tried for years to learn CW, but could not. Still can't.
    I started gathering ARRL handbooks & read them all night long. Built antennas (Probably 120 before turning 18) & other projects. Fixed Cbs for other people daily. Learned amplifiers & started building them (Yeah, I know). Finally, at 26 years old, got my no-code tech & was a 6 meter freak. Got out of it for a while & let my license lapse.
    Well, along comes an Ebay listing for an IC7000 that I got for stupid money (Had to explain to the wife). Now, I am amassing a good collection & am a 6 meter freak again.

Moral: If there wasn't a CW requirement back then, I would have been licensed at about 11 or 12 years old.
    We have several events in our small town yearly & I will be setting up a station at all of them to encourage new ham operators. People have to show WHY these kids would want to be a ham.

Ed

2I0GYL and AD5KO like this.
  7. N3DCP

N3DCP Ham Member QRZ Page

Xbox One and Call of Duty... But you are right (I'm one who plays them but also a ham..) kids now a days would rather do that or text friends rather then grabbing a radio and talking unless they grew up around the hobby. I consider myself an exception because I never was exposed to the hobby until about a year ago.

2I0GYL likes this.
  8. AC8PI

AC8PI Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally was never introduced to the hobby by anyone. I ran across it doing some research after buying a cb at a garage sale. I know only one young ham within fifty miles from here, and I was the one who introduced him to it. He doesn't get on 2M very much, but he recently upgraded to his general. I think that if there were a lot more young hams close to each other, there would be a lot more 2m and 440 use. Because there is nobody their age, I think a lot of kids go to places where there is more chance of running into someone their age. I know I sure wish that there were more people my age around here. I am 16 btw, and am on echolink once in a while. If you want to contact me, you can do so through my email on my qrz page.

73 de AC8PI Justin

9. KC9WXT

KC9WXT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully Field Day will get some more on the air. I remember our station got some youngins interested since we held it in a park. Unfortunately, even after sharing contact information, I never heard a word back from them. :(

KC9ZMS will be operating at Field Day this weekend. She'll be using the W9CWA club call.

She's pretty active on our two meter repeater. She even ran the weekly net earlier this month!

2I0GYL likes this.
  10. KG8CX

KG8CX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For those of you looking for youth on the ham bands, I suggest you try echolink on Sat. at 7pm CST...W8PIF-R for the YYN (YACHT Youth Net) We have upwards of 15 check ins with many of them young hams from 9 to 18, and many adults who support our objectives. A youth HF net runs at 8pm on 7.263 right after the YACHT Youth Net. I'll be running the YYN Saturday at 7pm from our Field Day site in Menominee MI Not much youth activity in our local area, except on Sat. evenings. I promote ham radio at our local Boys & Girls club, K8DAR, the only B & G club in the country with an established and regular activity for kids. Actually, the only place in our area where kids can experience ham radio.
    Go to http://www.qrz.com/db/k8dar
    for more info on the station.
    73, Ed

MI0YLT likes this.