ad: vanity

When

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB9YFI, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5OTR

W5OTR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with lz, I would have NEVER got into CW if it hadn't been required. I learned 5wpm, and then never touched it again... for a while. Then one day I realized that I didn't know a bit of morse code, even though I had passed the test. I started using the tutor mode on the ft-857d, and started catching on. I then started having qso's at 5 wpm. I can't chat much over 13 wpm, and I can't use a paddle unless i'm in a canoe. I still have a lot of fun with qso's on qrp kits and straight keys though. I'm glad that they had the cw test. Hope they leave it for part of the bands. Incentives are good.

2. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Those damn beeps.

A big problem I have is that my hearing was damaged by years of stupidity and not knowing better. And years of stupidity and knowing better.

But when I got out of the service (19D cav scout) I noticed that my hearing was getting worse. I can still hear OK -just have problems in crowded rooms picking out just one voice but it still can be done. I can pick out a QSO on HF and follow it. The ASDP really helps too.

But I've got tinnitus something bad. Long tones in my ears and they don't always match ear to ear either. Sometimes it is chord between the two ears and it is an unresolved chord that it seems should have one last note that never comes. It drives me crazy sometimes. Hearing tones like CW that is just beeping at one frequency give me a migrane. But then again, a LOT of things give me a migrane. I get one every week or so these days even though I have learned what causes them. Allergies to Milk, soy and a bunch of other things. Lack of sleep doesn't help either -laying in bed with the symphony holding that second to last note for hours drives me nuts.

There is no way I'd ever "enjoy" doing morse. It just couldn't ever. It cuts right to my last nerve every time I hear it. I'm sure some of that is psychological -maybe a lot. I'm not dumb. I realize I really HATE the code. It kicked my butt hard. If I had just played with it for 20-30 hours before giving up on it I could say that I was just lazy. But I kept it up for far too long before I realized I'd never get it. That kind of stuff hurts. I hate being beat. I'm not dumb. That's why I hate it. But there isn't any way I'm ever going to learn it now. Can't, won't, and don't need to anymore. It's been over a year since I last tried. Sometimes it's better just to move on and admit you have been beat. Luckily (for me) it isn't really necessary for doing radio and the FCC decided to drop the requirement. I'm glad. I'm happy, I'm elated. I can totally see though, if I had put this much work into it and somehow got lucky and passed the darn 5WPM test and then later they dropped the requirement for others I can see how I would be sore too. Sometimes it bears taking a step back and looking at things from someone else's perspective. I understand that the code guys are mad, are mean and sometimes just can't help themselves from being nasty. I hurts being beat. I get that. Just go yell at someone else. I don' like it.

3. KC9JIQ

KC9JIQ QRZ Member QRZ Page

So is there a update on when we can take the General Written test and become a General?

Studying theory, just don't want to waste $14 just to fill out a form.

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

JIQ:

The Report & Order on dropping the International Morse code requirement has not been published as of this writing. The actual scheduling of the publication in the Federal Register is unknown at this time. After it is published there is usually a 30 day period before it takes effect. However, once it is published people can submit all sorts of petitions for reconsideration, modification, etc. That can delay the implementation even further if the FCC doesn't reject all such petitions immediately upon receipt.

The result is that one should not "hold their breath" waiting on the dropping of the requirement for knowledge of the International Morse code.

Glen, K9STH

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you had started with this, the initial reactions here would have been different.

We are not as bad as you may have thought.

Best wishes. It would be a pleasure to meet you "down the log".

6. W5OTR

W5OTR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought that there was an exemption for hearing problems. Something like: you can send rather than rx, or something to that....
    anyone know?

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not likely to occur.

The most likely scenario is that it will be published in the next 10 days, and take effect 30 days after that. So, probably within 40 days or so. You can start worrying if it hasn't been published by the first half of Feb.

Although there may be petitions for reconsideration filed, they are likely to go nowhere, given the direction of the FCC. There would have to be some overwhelming argument for reversal at this point, and there isn't.

These federal things take a finite amount of time from announcement to publication, usually about 35-40 days. We are now approaching that window. But, there have also been 3 federal holidays since the announcement, and the announcement came about 3 days before the actual printed copy was available, so maybe it will be as late as 50 days after announcement.

In any case, based on previous FCC changes, this will likely be law within 50 days.

Once this is published, it will be very difficult to stop or reverse. There will be those that will try. There are a small number of hams who are totally bent out of shape, and losing sleep over this issue. They don't want ANYONE to have ANY HF access without taking a MC test.

They will make some noise, and the FCC will ignore them.

Joe

8. KB9YFI

Well, I'm sure my reasons for not getting over that hurdle are no different or any more important than anyone else's reasons. The fact is, that CW isn't really necessary to operate HF and hasn't been for many years. I get that some people really LOVE the mode and I'm happy for them. There are a few things that I LOVE that other people wouldn't understand either and we should all be free to persue our loves to the best of our abilities.

But to put artificial road-blocks on people's dreams in the guise of a "filter" or "rite of passage" isn't helping the ARS be all that it could be in my opinion. I hope I would have been man enough to see this had CW been as easy as picking up everything else in my life. I hope I could have been as understanding standing in someone else's shoes.

I'm all for helping others gain as much knowledge and ability that they can. I've tried helping people to varying degrees of sucess teaching them what things I do know.

But when I have failed I don't put it on my "student" for my lack of being able to teach them. The failure lies on the teacher. For me to call them "whiners" and "lazy" doesn't help the situation at all. Most especially when it is true. Unfortunately there is a small minority of hams that make everyone look bad by being mean, heartless and cruel to the newbies. The whole bad apple in the crate phenomenon. In a hobby where everything is hearing the loudest voice is the one that gets heard.

But it is so much nicer having a grown-up discussion instead of yelling insults back and forth across the room at each other. I hope I learned something in this thread. Losing one's cool doesn't get one anywhere worthwhile. It might be fun to blow off steam but in the end it just creates so much more hot air.

I'm just as guilty as those who jumped on me. I guess I have a lot of growing up to do. Lucky I've got a few more years left on this planet (hopefully)

Sorry about the platypus remark.

9. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome aboard.

10. KB9YFI

This just in. The ARRL just let it leak that the date is 2-23-07. The FCC's R&O in the "Morse code proceeding," WT Docket 05-235, is scheduled to appear in the Federal Register Wednesday, January 24.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/01/19/101/?nc=1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.