ad: vanity

When

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB9YFI, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people agree that first letter of the acronym OF stands for "Old" -the second letter has a number of different interpretations...

I'm going to NOT go out on a limb and say my official stance is "Feller"

2. W5OTR

W5OTR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What do you think of that 2020 you got? Does it have auto mode selection or can you make it work on usb or lsb on all bands?

3. KB9YFI

I really like it. So far as a reciever-only it is amazing. The filters are easy to use and straight-forward (once you make yourself a cheat-sheet to figure out all the 2-button commands)

The ADSP is amazing and it isn't even the newer ADSP2. When you turn it on it like 2M FM operation. You can pick out a station out of the noise and all of a sudden once you activate the ADSP it is like full-quieting. Just sweet voice. If the ADSP is this good I can only imagine how much better the ADSP2 is. The people at eham just rave about how much better it is and is worthe the $180 to send it into SGC and get the board swapped for the newer version. I'm happy with it so far.

I have no idea how the transmit is going to be on the other side other than again what the eham reviewers have said. But it sounds good.

The downsides are that it does not do FM or AM -only USB and LSB and CW mode. A lot of CW ops couldn't take the noise as the rig went into transmit and recieve. It "clanks" I guess which is really annoying at break-in to some. There is a fix for it which involves putting some circuitry into the paddle plug. I don't care as I'll never go there.

I'm really impressed with SCG as a company. Go to their website and see how much stuff they give away for free. They have downloads for all the manuals for FREE! Manuals for legacy equipment -FAQ's Maintenance manuals, add-on manuals. You name it -they give it away. They are also really nice. I emailed them with the serial # of this unit and they mailed back right away with the history of the radio. I learned that my rig had been in for service, firmware upgrade and installation of the ADSP board a few years back (just before they ADSP2 came out) And that information was more than the seller knew as he stated that it did not have it. I guess he didn't contact SGC or bother to open the radio up and LOOK -as it was there plain as day when I pulled it apart to run the factory diagnostics on it and check it out. (I can't buy something without taking it apart -it's a weakness. I just have to take it apart and SEE for myself what is going on inside. It drives my SO's nuts when I do that! "why are you taking apart the band new DVD player?[​IMG]")

I guess I'll learn more in a few months when I get HF privilages. I have a buddy who lives about 150 miles from me who has a nice Yaesu all-mode all-band who is in the same situation as me. All dressed up and studied for element 3 and waiting. He's all set up for PSK-31 too so the day the R & O comes out and we find out when we can transmit we will be ready to try to contact each other on 28120.150 Hopefully the radio gods will smile on us and we can make contact. We'll see. It will be a learning experience at the very least!!!

4. W5OTR

W5OTR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure what the new priviledges are, but if you are into this sort of thing, check out the warbler at www.smallwonderlabs.com. It is only 50 bucks, but fun to build and I think that would be your best bet to chat with your friend. Let me understand, FCC is going to upgrade all techs to tech plus, and then if you pass the general test you can be a general?

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

I retrofitted two of my Cubic Astro D rigs with the ADSP2 units.

There is a slight bit of common-mode hum with the filters engaged, but I think that's due to installer error - the spot where I picked up +12V for power may not be filtered properly. I'll tackle that problem this winter, however.

The units work very well indeed. The Astros have no built-in CW/Data filtering and the ADSP2 makes the rigs useable for those modes on a crowded band. (The radios were originally designed for commercial/diplomatic service and as such their operators didn't have to deal with the QRM headaches that we amateurs face daily.)

Auto-notch and de-noising are nice features to have when operating SSB.

6. KB9YFI

Oh, I didn't answer your question. You either set it for USB, LSB or CW. No auto-selection. It can be operated in either split, RIT/XIT.

One of the neat things about the rig is its very low power needs 400mA on recieve. Output power can be cranked down to any level between 20 and 1W. You can also feed it with any power supply between 9V and 18V and at temps betwen -30C and +70C. This is one tough rig. It is light and compact and you can buy a battery pack for it and a front cover to make it into its own radio case (big $$$) You are better off just buying one of those neat "jump start" self-contained battery power supplies instead and cutting off the extra battery clamps.

Check out the website at http://www.sgcworld.com/2020ProductPage.html and check out their other products the new SG2000 radio looks pretty nice but the 2020 will do just fine for me as a new HF op until I outgrow it and need more. Right now it looks like it will do just about everything I can hope for. Lots of learning ahead. Lots of FUN!

7. KB9YFI

Thanks for the link to the Warbler. I've already looked at it and put it on "the list" of things I want to do. Having a dedicated radio for PSK sounds like a great idea. I will probably build 2 of them. One for 20M and one for 40M. I like building stuff. I actually enjoy winding tauroid x-formers! At work whenever there is something technical, electronic or radio-related they give it to me. Most of the OF's in the electrical field just don't understand or want to learn it. And if they break something they call me over with my soldering iron to fix it. Whether it is a radio-operated lighting relay to turn on the helipad lights at the hospital we wired or ripping apart a circuit board on a generator throttle-position sensor/load controller that someone shorted out I'm the guy. The Warbler is right up my alley. Being able to actually USE it soon really is a big plus.

The guy at the local RadioShack used to call me "the experimenter" because I was always in there buying components. I'd build flashers with 555 timing chips and wailing sirens. When I was in the military (19D cavalry scout) I had the most fun when we did mines, explosives and such. I'd always build the best timers and electronic triggers. My Drill Instructor would actually come over and "hang out" with me and have me show him how to do stuff. That was kind of creepy as everyone else was so damn afraid of him. But that Warbler is definately on the list. My GF doesn't have a lot of room here and has me on a tight leash though. I have to finish an electronic project before I can bring home another one. She appreciates handiness though. I just saved her a couple hundred bucks buy fixing her car yesterday for only $45 in parts for a new clutch slave cylinder. Life is a puzzle. It really bothers me I couldn't ever solve the CW one. I guess I am a little sore about that. Life is also so unfair [​IMG] Why can't I hear those damn beeps? It is pretty darn embarassing. I could have been playing on HF all this time instead of having to wait for the bar being lowered for me.

8. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

Geez, it sounds like a bunch of guys trying to boost their post count......

It's been fun, I've got the popcorn and the barley pop and am sitting back watching this whole show go on just waiting for the posting of the order in the Federal Register and seeing the fun begin with a bunch of new postings on how ham radio is going down the crapper.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. KB9YFI

BINGO!

Where where you a couple of pages ago when I was trying to come up with the reasons why I became a HAM? Reason #11: I just like to hear myself talk. I'll admit it. Guilty as charged. You have put your finger on it.

I'm happy just having a nice conversation but I'm also quite capable of jumping into the mud and wallowing around in it if someone else slings it first.

Reason #12 I became a Ham is that it really doesn't happen that often on the air. And when it does, it is usually just a general rudeness that I can ignore and have yet to be goaded into losing my temper on the ham bands. Sometimes I have been known to lose a contact on the air. ("sorry, having trouble with your signal, can you increase your output or adjust your beam? No, I still can't copy.... Time to sign. Buh-Bye!") but most people are nice and I much prefer being nice on the air. But on the intartw3bz flame-warriors just bring it out of the best of us.

I really should be the bigger man. Sometimes that is hard. I need to go buy some suspenders I think. Or maybe I'll just grow another layer of skin and ignore them.

Have I typed enough characters to count this as a valid post? Look at that, here is one more. Back one QRZ first went to this new format I had one of the highest post counts for a few months before I decided to call it quits.

Like that guy from airplane said, "looks like I picked a bad time to quit sniffing glue!"

10. AB9LZ

AB9LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't feel bad, just about everyone goes through a similar experience with morse, it initially seems really unnatural, with the added panic of the "requirement" of needing to know it to have HF fun. In some ways the dropping of the requirement was a good thing as it'll remove the panic / dread aspect of learning it. Personally, I'm happy I was exposed to it through the testing as it is currently my favorite mode (I've tried to give most of them a whirl in my short 18 month stint as a a ham).
    Psk is fun too, but since I am a professional programmer, find that it is too much like "work".

73 m.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.