ad: cq2k-1

When you write a Product Review..........

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Charlie Gyenes, HA5CMG writes:

It would be nice if the person writing a Product Review on HF Mobile antennas would state a few important facts:

"I made that contact on 10/15/17/20/40 or 80 meters and got 5x9 report. This antenna is 10 out of 10."

The point I would like to make is that just about any stick or screwdriver antenna will do well on th higher bands, but poorly on 40 and 80.

An HF Mobile antenna to perform on 40/80 M it has to have sufficient Radiation Efficiency. That is derived from the design philosofy and materials used.

I'd like to submit a few numbers: a screwdriver antenna that is using over 120 turns of # 16 wire on a 1.7" coil form to resonate on 3800 kc versus the one is using 46 turns of #12 on a 4" coil form will have a -22.4 dB or .8 % efficiency vs. the 4" having a -12.4 dB and 7.2% efficiency. That is over 3 "S" units better on your/his receiver.

A detailed comparison of HF Mobile antennas has been done and the results may be found on the website of: http://www.hiqantennas.com
    A more detailed version of this article is avalable for the asking.

I welcome you comments:

Contact me @ charlieha5cmg@aol.com

73, Charlie VE7BOC/W6 (HA5CMG)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.