When Was Your Last AM QSO?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N3AWS, Jul 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can’t remember ever making an AM contact although even my DX-40 was capable of AM operation.

When was your last AM QSO? What band? What equipment did you use?

2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Never.

N3AWS likes this.
  3. KE9EX

KE9EX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

January, 1972. 40 Meters, DX-100B (given away) and Knight R-100A (pictured on the left).

I'd like to get back into it with some good ol' Boatanchors, but that probably won't happen.
    But at least I have a XTAL for 7.290....

N3AWS likes this.
  4. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably sometime in 1974 on 2m. My first radio after I got my licence was home made using parts salvaged from an old PMR radio. The donor radio was FM, but most operation those days on 2m was AM, so I had to redesign it. I couldn't afford a modulation transformer, so it was implemented as screen-grid modulation on the QQV-0640A output stage. I ran that for perhaps a year, then the local ham community managed to buy a job-lot of FM PMR radios cheap and we all switched to FM...

Martin (G8FXC)

N3AWS likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, on-off keying is a type of amplitude modulation, so Morse code via CW is technically amplitude modulation, which would mean Field Day a few weeks ago was my most recent AM QSO.

But I bet you meant phone AM, (SSB is also technically a type of amplitude modulation, but I'm sure that's not what you meant, either).

In that case, I've never had an AM QSO on the ham bands. I do have the capability with my KX3, but I've never used it. And I respect those who do keep the mode alive, but it's one of many niches I haven't yet explored.

Outside of the ham bands, I used to fly small airplanes, and used AM on VHF airband a fair bit, but not since 1991. And QSL cards weren't customary on airband, so I got no proof.

N3AWS and WN1MB like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

1885 June 20, 2021
    Aircraft 122.8, yesterday

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

SA6CKE and N3AWS like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I've had exactly 7 AM QSOs in 47 years as a ham :)

But the most fun were the ones on the old Heathkit Twoer :)

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2021-7-14_10-40-56.png

WZ7U and N3AWS like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Mid 1990s with a Meissner Signal Shifter exciter (40 lbs.), 150B transmitter (305 lbs.), homebrew mixer console and electret mic. R-392 doing the receiving chores. Antenna was a 75 meter slightly inverted Vee with the wide apex at 70'. East Coast sound, baby...

N3AWS likes this.
  9. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On field days and days that there are contests going on.

[​IMG]

Actually, my last one was May 31st, 2020. Though, my shack was damage and took 10 months to get fixed. I literally just got my shack back about a month ago.

W7UUU and N3AWS like this.
  10. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

My most recent AM QSO was Friday afternoon, on 3885Kc.
    Jamie, N2VJ was 80 meter mobile AM on his way back to upstate NY from central Pennsylvania.

Jamie, along with Kevin, usually congregate with a number of other AMers on 3705Kc "down low" on the band, where there's plenty of elbow room, good signals, and nice story telling. If you have not heard "AM" in a while on HF, I recommend tapping this sound file, as I received the two of them in Maryland. They are discussing areas around Syracuse New York. (no Jamie is not mobile in this recording, hi)

Also pointing out the QRZ.com Amplitude Modulation page you're welcome to participate in.

https://qsl.net/wa3vjb/K2XAM-Kevin.wav

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    W0PV, AC0OB and WN1MB like this.