When was ssb approved for "that other service"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W7IMM

W7IMM Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't be missing out when someone on 75 or 40m asks you what your "personal" is or says your signal is S-20!!

KP4SX likes this.
  2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the operator is using a receiver that has a signal strength meter with only a db scale :)

3. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can count several times I've been monitoring 75 meters and heard "Unit xxx, clear, oops!" and then a call sign. o_O

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

CAMBIO! CAMBIO! FLACKO! FLACKO!

WS4JM likes this.
  5. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

"What am I hittin' ya with on the meter, skeeter??"

"TWENNY POUNDS!!!"

6. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

One time when I was leaving Norfolk Naval Shipyard after work, I was talking to a friend on 2 Meters 146.52. I could see that the CBer next to me in line was tuning around and kept looking up at me. Finally, he rolled down the window and asked what channel I was on. I told him I was on 52. He looked a little surprised and then said, " Oh, you must have one of those sliders." I just shook my head yes and drove on.
    Tom WA4ILH

N1YR likes this.
  7. AG7JN

AG7JN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to get pedantic but...

The term used on most CBs was 'clarifier' although some brands used a different term like 'voice lock' on Cobra radios and 'Receive-O-Slide' on Pearce-Simpson radios

A slider was what you got when you modded the radio to make the transmitter move more than the 1-2 KHz that they normally did out of the box. Depending upon the model they could be made to slide up to 15 KHz or so although with many, the further one moved away from the center frequency, the touchier the control got. That's why sometimes you see old CB radios with big vernier dials where the clarifier knob should be.

To the best of my knowledge the clarifiers on all 23 channel CB radios were 'open' meaning that the transmitter moved right along with the receiver. Once the 40 channels came out in 1977 the transmitter was fixed on center frequencies, making the clarifier a true RIT.

Of course the new radios could be and were modded extensively as well, especially those that had the infamous '858' chip in them.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Clarifier = Receiver Incremental Tuning "RIT" and is a receive-only function. Yaesu used the term Clarifier for years on ham gear.

Slider = VFO > "Variable Frequency Oscillator" and is a transmitter-only function. "XIT" is the closed ham radio equivalent

Dave
    W7UUU

9. AG7JN

AG7JN Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's agree that the terms may have had different definitions across the bands. Remember, this was CB and NOT amateur radio.

Don't get me started on the term 'Power Mic'

10. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

Here are two golden oldies, what CB sounded like in 1969...in Philadelphia