When was ssb approved for "that other service"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, you will admit it, especially since converted to 10. Excellent project btw. I'm wondering about the other inmates, not the channel master. :D

I have a Cobra 2000, but its been in storage so long I'm sure it needs recapped to see if it still works.

K8XG and W7UUU like this.
  2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice job, Pete.

3. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall a store closing out off brand 23 channel CB radios for $29.95

4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

If I remember correctly (and that's a pretty big "if"), Olsen made the first sideband CB radio in 1964. It was double sideband and was not popular as it was ONLY double sideband with no AM so not compatible with most of the CBers out there.
    Again, not certain of this. Would have to research it to be certain.

Channel 16 as mentioned was the ssb monitoring channel until some time into the 40 channel change.

Until the synthesized channel units came out many but not all CB rigs had just a few channels in them 5 or so. Some of those base stations had vfo receivers with a spotting switch. Some had 23 channel packs you could buy like the Heathkit mobile did. It was pretty expensive to add them all at a total of 46 crystals total.

Yes a good 23 channel rig was expensive back in say 1970 but many were built pretty well back then and CB was quite popular even before the mid 70s CB heydays.

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Double Sideband full carrier is AM
    Double Sideband suppressed carrier is not AM.

Several manufacturers were advertising double sideband full carrier in 1964 in their CB rigs.

W0FS likes this.
  6. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

The Olsen may have been of of those.
    Doesn't matter I was wrong anyway. I was thinking DSB reduced carrier however.
    Mark Products had the first commercially available SSB rig in 1963. It was the Mark Sidebander SSB-27.
    It had five channels, 17 tubes, a four section crystal lattice filter, and a crystal oven for frequency stability.
    it had selectable LSB/USB but no AM. It was priced at $164.95.

They sold less than 500 of them. Sold them only through TV shops that sold their TV and electronics test
    equipment which was a fail.

The general manager Ed Harris went on his own and bought up the rest of them selling them through more
    specialized CB shops. He went on to manufacture the ASB-11 which had AM added to it. THIS was the first AM-SSB CB transceiver.

It got things going but it never caught on all that well. Later in 1967, E.F. Johnson came out with a sideband radio the Johnson 350.
    A two channel rig that came with ch. 16 and 18. The "Johnny 350" was not a big success but kept the ball rolling until later when more was known about SSB by the CB masses and more companies jumped in like Browning and Tram.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    KA4DPO and K8XG like this.
  7. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

My 142 GLT base has not needed recapped, just LEDs for the meters

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC, last time the ole 2000 was on, the channel segments on a couple numbers were gunnybag. Maybe I'll pull it out this year and see what there is to see.

9. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

This one is prettier then the Mark Sidebander SSB-27:

[​IMG]

10. N1YR

N1YR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In between the age separate TX and RX crystals for every channel, and therefore sets with few channels, and phase-locked loop synthesizers with one reference crystal for the whole radio, came crystal mixing schemes to save cost. There were several schemes.

The basic schemes were selecting one of six 38 MHz crystals, mixing it with either one of four TX crystals or one of four four RX crystals at 11 MHz, and filtering for the 38 minus 11 mixing product to get the 27 MHz. Thus all 23 channels could be had using 14 crystals instead of 46.

One scheme even got it down to 12 crystals by using one of six 23 MHz crystals added to one of four 15 MHz crystals to get the 38 MHz steps, and then subtracting a single crystal for RX or a single crystal for TX.