When was ssb approved for "that other service"?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KL7AJ, Jan 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was ssb approved for CB on the original 23 channels? There's a gap in my FCC archives

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  2. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes also in USA.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess so. I just saw a post from a guy about converting his 23-channel SSB rig to 10m.

4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. I don't think anyone was actually using it, though.

5. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

10-4 Good Buddy - one example of many:

34AED272-E03F-4627-ACBF-1700ADFA5847.jpeg

Voice Lock was known in CB land as a "slider"; on an amateur rig it is known as "RIT". On some CB's it also worked while transmitting (XIT).

6. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I used 148GTLs and my still owned base 142 GTL since those times. All kinds of SSB traffic on 36-45...

Still today I can tell 10 meters opens when I hear folks on 38 LSB 27.385 ... then I can call CQ on 10 and someone might come back to me while the CBers are running a pile up over pile up as they do....

KE9EX likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Those weren't the original 23 channels.

W4HWD and K3XR like this.
  8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I could be dead wrong because as old as I am I was pretty young when 11 meter CB first started. I was already a licensed ham radio operator (Novice class) so I didn't pay much attention to CB. A neighbor was heavy into CB though and as I recall originally it was AM only with channels crystalized and selected by a rotary switch. As I said I might be mistaken. I think SSB followed a short time later and at the same time the # of "channels" was expanded as well.

9. N8KC

N8KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Used to have a Gemtronics 23 Channel SSB/AM unit.. was converted for 10m
    [​IMG]

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^I think you're 100% right.

I was never on CB, but did install many CB antennas for people back in the mid-to-late 60s, when it was really thriving and seemed every second car or truck on the road had a CB whip antenna.

In '66-67 or so, the rigs mostly used tubes and were crystal controlled, but some were really high quality (like the Johnson Messengers and similar). No "frills," but they were reliable and worked well.

Although it may have been legal per Part 95, I never saw an SSB CB rig back then.