When to use /QRP suffix for FT8 (how are online logging programs reporting)

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD2NOM, Dec 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks James,

I no longer use suffixes on my FT8 QSO's

Mark

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

As indicated many of the FT 8 stations are QRP that does not require any special designation or recognition .

3. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

I really wish that "QRP" was calculated on the TOTAL power used, including the computer. If it requires 50 Watts to send a QRP signal because of the consumption of the desktop computer, various displays, panadaptors & etc. , seriously, is it still QRP, in the same manner as Peter on the beach, carrying everything, or SOTA/RaDAR Operations with man-carried stations?

I think that we've lost site of some basics here.

Just a thought -

Ray ..._ ._

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I somewhat disagree with that, we are talking RF power, not general power.

I would prefer that the 5W be ERP, and HAAT be factored in, so it takes into account the antenna combo used.

As mentioned before, there is a big difference between 5w to a wet noodle, and 5W to a full length 5 element monoband Yagi on a 100ft tower.

M7PSM and VE6NS like this.
  5. KA1YBS

KA1YBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I'm calling CQ on Phone, I simply add, with my voice, "QRP Portable" to my call only on one of the three instances during my long CQ call. I never use "Stroke QRP portable", which is the equivalent of "/QRP" in digital or CW.

I don't use a "stroke mobile" either.

For FT8, I will change only my grid square, and I have to add that to a location in LoTW for correct logging.

I could be wrong, but it's just a practice I've adopted over many years operating outside of the shack.

I am not sure exactly on proper etiquette, but I would save the stroke for calling in a different call area than my QTH for instance. I believe this affects logs for BOTH stations, especially when a station is going for a specific award. The stroke is also used to modify your station licence, like when you are "Stroke AG" after an upgrade.

I will, however, say in my log that I was mobile or portable (without a stroke), and list my power output. Furthermore, I note my approximate location, if outside the ARRL mandated 50-mile radius of my FCC address (rule for WAS). Unfortunately, LoTW strips the notation field, so the op on the other end hopefully got all my details during the QSO!

There is a couple of cents for ya ;)

K1BQY likes this.