When to use /QRP suffix for FT8 (how are online logging programs reporting)

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KD2NOM, Dec 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon and Happy New Year to you all.

I have a question regarding appending the suffix /QRP to my callsign when calling CQ in FT8 mode using WSJT-X.

I am working the HF bands at 5watts for the time being and really enjoying the extra work it takes to make QSO's; identifying QRM and moving around the sub-band to give myself and others a chance to complete the QSO, etc.

I like to append /QRP to my callsign to entice other hams to work my station (CQ KD2NOM/QRP FN20).

During the QSO exchange, my call sign reverts to KD2NOM except for the CQ portion and the 73 portion. My question is this - if folks are logging my call as KD2NOM/QRP - do online logging programs (QRZ.com, eqsl, lotw, etc) truncate the /QRP and then check my QSO's for validation? I am uploading my QSO as KD2NOM - so I'm not sure how or if the two QSO's are being matched.

I uploaded several but have not seen them come thru as a confirmed QSO.

Thank you for your responses.

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not recommend signing '/QRP' at all.

In many countries the '/' bit is regarded as part of your callsign.

Its legitimate use (in some countries, depending on regulations) is to identify whether you are operating in another country or call area. Or if you are mobile or portable.

There are two other reasons why you might not do it. One is related to communications theory, the other more philosophical.

1. It adds extra length to your callsign. In manual modes when signals are marginal you want to reduce the information sent to the bare minimum needed to complete a legitimate contact. That's your callsign and signal report. The shorter your callsign the better. Because then you can repeat your call sign more times in a shorter time and there's fewer characters for the other guy to get wrong. It's no accident that if you look at the top DX and contest achievement lists they're dominated by stations with shorter callsigns. Why throw all that benefit away with an unnecessary addition?

2. It emphasises the 'poor me' attitude of some QRPers. Like you're begging for contacts. This is a matter of personal taste. I don't presume to tell you how to operate but to me the success of a QRP contact is sweeter if you don't tell others you're QRP until after communication is established. If QRP is as good as its exponents say it is then contacts should be possible without this special pleading, which in some cases due to added callsign length may confuse the station you're trying to work.

FT8 is a highly effective mode for QRP. Many devotees of it would be using QRP. There is nothing special about using QRP on it. So the '/QRP' bit is redundant at best and may be seen as vain* at worst.

(*) Sir William of Occam, the QRPer's philosopher, said "It is vain to do with more what can be done with less". In the communications game this includes verbosity. Appending '/QRP' onto your callsign possibly falls into this category.

WD0BCT, KD2RON, WG7X and 1 other person like this.
  3. KD2NOM

I like this philosophy - I hereby claim it as my own!

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Don't!

VK3YE's reply was brilliant!!

K3XR likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is no good reason to sign /QRP on digital modes. Don't do it.

p.s. There is really darned little reason to sign /QRP on CW either. Mention your power level in the exchange, instead. IMO, it's unimportant whether you are QRP or not, and signing it just slows things down. Either you are heard or you aren't. shrug.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I would say in any mode. Mention it during the QSO, fine.

Also, most of the merit is with the other station. He/she is the one straining his/her ears to hear the QRPer.

I'm not against QRP, I like it very much, but I have to laugh at some of them describing their exploits.

My other 'beef' - and I say it again, I like QRP very much - is when a QRP station, with a full length 5 element Yagi for example, starts bragging about being QRP. It's a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2017
    K1BQY and KM6KPW like this.
  7. KD2NOM

I understand.

In my case it's either a vertical on 10 meter or it's a multiband dipole too low to the ground in a not-so-perfect inverted vee.

8. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Both should be fine. Even a small magnetic loop (eg below) can do OK on 10m. Even on SSB. FT-8 should be substantially better.

Especially during the summer and winter sporadic-E seasons.

[​IMG]

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with VK3YE. Don't bother. Something like /QRP often messes up the autosequencing and maybe even logging depending on how the other guy handles it.

K3XR and ND6M like this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked you on ft 8, and I have to manually delete the /QRP or my logging program (LOG4OM) WILL log it exactly as that.

The problem is that conflicts arise with LotW, EQSL, ect when the calls don't exactly match.

I now don't (as a general rule) respond to anyone with a NON STANDARD CQ and/or 73 exchange.

K1BQY likes this.