When someone asks, Why CW?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Is CW the best mode?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. -.-.

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

As others may have mentioned, I had to learn Morse code to get my Novice license, and I had to pass the 13 WPM test for my General ticket. I had no better sense than to stay with CW. I was QRT for around 10 years +/- and got back on the air in February 2018. Shortly thereafter, I realized I was missing a lot of good DX on the bottom portion of the CW bands, and I studied and passed the exam for Amateur Extra class.

My code speed is about where it was (nothing to brag about) when I went QRT. For short-burst contest QSOs, I can hang with the QRQ speed demons most of the time, but my rag chew speed is significantly less.

After some military experience, participation in the shooting sports, and road cycling (with pedals) (think constant wind noise), my hearing is not stellar. CW with my David Clark headphones works well, and I perceive that I can copy extremely weak signals on CW that I could not copy at the same strength on phone. I have been able to complete and get confirmed DX QSOs where signal strength is just slightly above one's imagination.

Also, with the exception of nuances of fists, CW has no accent. I have trouble understanding even standard phonetics from some folks whose native language is other than English. That's not a criticism of those folks. They are doing their best to do it right.

N7BKV and KF9VV like this.
  2. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

N5CM, well put!

I too have lived a very active life. I did not do military time, but did all the rest of the things you did. They took their toll. So does aging. But, I also can resolve a CW signal that is barely above the noise floor if I want to. I can not do it for long, as my attention fades after a while

To me, the combination of the fun of taxing my mind and hearing and still being able to make something out of nearly nothing is so big that I can not imagine another mode providing the same reward.

Jim
    KF9VV

K1LKP, N5CM and N7BKV like this.
  3. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CW CAN BE A LOT OF FUN.jpg

73 & HNY

K1LKP
    CARMEN