ad: M2Ant-1

When someone asks, Why CW?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Is CW the best mode?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    59.0%
  2. -.-.

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is something the best ,
    is one of the worst questions you can ask , about almost any subject ;)

VE3BXG and KG4KAH like this.
  2. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

But did you still vote?

:p

Hi hi

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If someone were to ask me why CW, I would say "why do you breathe ?"

I don't need any reasons to "do" any mode, especially CW.

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I do not vote - when there is a worst question , no option for a proper vote .

I'l explain , since such a large percentage or the populace is thinking wrong ;)
    There can be no best , in this case mode , for what purpose , not enough context in the question .
    It's much like religion - there is only one , and it's mine and I will kill to prove it - not my idea - a few thousand yrs. of history .
    Best [ especially without context ] removes personal choice , and or disrespects individual choice .
    Like what is the best rock&roll song - a wrong headed question , to me even on an individual basis - without comparing to others .
    I do not have best or even favorite rock&roll song , there are just too many , and that will vary depending on many things - like when the thought arises of a favorite song , that varies over time and mood [ not mode ;) , one frame of mind will favor one or a couple , another time a different song .
    I think of these types of questions as argumentative , polarizing or trolling .
    Minds are like parachutes - they function when open .
    Step out of the box ;)

To me CW & phone are the only modes that imbue personality , those are my preferences .
    And your welcome to yours ;)
    Hopefully that works for most

5. G3ZPF

G3ZPF Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to actively see them out when I first got licenced. They were always real grateful to work into EU, and I was sure happy to work the states on my low dipole. Happy days.

6. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Why CW?

It is a pursuit that there is no end point to, one can grow endlessly. The 80/20 rule applies. 20% of the effort will get the first 80% of capability. The effort it takes to obtain the last 20% of capability is endless. It is more like being a musician than any other mode.

VE7JBX, VE3BXG and KD7ICW like this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Why CW?

I like rag chewing on CW. Digi modes may be somewhat more efficient, but not much rag chewing going on.

With one low-powered CQ on CW a short while ago today (after work) I worked AB0BM in northern IA who called me with 5W and a vertical. Completed the QSO with Gary (rag chew, but he had to run for dinner), then was immediately called by WA5OBM in OK (near Tulsa) who was using 5W (maybe) with an MFJ-9220 transceiver to an inverted vee. Good rag chew, and eventually he also had to go for dinner!

But these could have lasted an hour each without the dinner call.

The MFJ especially is a "minimalist" rig. No digi, no computer connection, only CW, and should be affordable for almost anyone, That's all it takes. Phil was easily 559 to 579 with the lil' MFJ.

I haven't worked SSB in a month or two, and haven't worked any digi modes in > a year. CW is just too easy, but also pleasurable and a great way to get to really know people.

K8AI likes this.
  8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

... because it was a requirement at the time. Play with it for a while and you'll find out (maybe) that it's a fun mode.

K8AI likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

...because it makes fun and it´s like playing an instrument. Just sitting here in OZ and got already a lot of contacts at our vacation here. That makes fun and it´s relaxing :)