ad: k1jek

When/is Yaesu going to come out with their answer to the Icom 7300?

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KN6CSB, Feb 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Before I picked up the 7300 I demo’d it side by side with the FT-991. I didn’t care for the 991 at all but I do have other Yaesu rigs. I had studied both manuals prior to the demo to allow a good comparison. The audio on the 991 just didn’t work for me. It sounded very raspy compared to the 7300.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi David (WA7F):

I've used both the FT-991 and IC-7300. Both are great radios that are fun to operate. The controls and screen on the IC-7300 are better and more intuitive to use than the 991, but the 7300 lacks many of the FT-991 capabilities (including all-mode VHF/UHF, including digital) and has inferior noise reduction. Those are my impressions over thousands of QSOs.

Some of my friends prefer the IC-7300 and some the FT-991.

Regarding FT-991 audio capability - I find it's very good, despite the tiny built-in speaker (which is similar to the IC-7300). The FT-991 has a LOT of audio shaping functions and can be made to sound sharp (for contesting) or mellow (for rag chewing). The four most important controls for this are: 1. Contour control (which can emphasize OR suppress any range of frequiencies and dramatically alter the FT-991 audio response), 2. Digital noise reduction, which is VERY effective at harsh channel noise suppression, 3. IF shift, which can change the frequency response RANGE of FT-991 audio and is key in both SSB and FT8 contacts., and 4. Variable bandwidth control, which continuously varies the bandwidth of RX filters, making them ideal for just about any occasion.

I'll bet in your "side-by-side" that item #1 was not explored at all (most users don't understand it), the capability of item #3 may have been missed and even #4 was probably not played with much. Altogether, they can be used to make the FT-991 sound as mellow as my old tube HW-101 or as sharp and raspy as my TS-440S. The IC-7300 overlaps in audio control to a degree but lacks the contour control of the FT-991 - which is pretty darn nice.

Complex and confusing capability IS a common problem with Yaesu rigs - LOTS and lots of capability. But it takes some time to learn what it is and how to use it. The IC-7300 has a bit less capability in that regard, but what it does have is right there in front of you and is VERY intuitive to use. So new users can be more effective with it, right out of the box. And stay that way, even after using other rigs for a while.

I'd take either rig any day. And have!

FB on the KPA500/KAT500 combo (per your QRZ page). That pair works well with any HF rig, including the IC-7300, FT-991, Flex-6600, K-line ... and many, many others. And they can be run hard on RTTY and FT8 and not break a sweat (or themselves). 120VAC makes them happy, and so does 240V. Very compact.

Best Regards,

Brian - K6BRN

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  3. WA7F

Hi Brian,
    It almost sounds like your describing the 7300. It has IF shift, variable bandwidth (PBT filter), IF filter and bunch of other cool stuff that I haven’t used in quite a while. I have a couple of Flex 5000 V/U rigs that I like better. I think it all boils down to preference. If it works for you then use it and have fun with it.

My QRZ page is way overdue for an update. Moved to a new QTH and have a major project getting things dialed in again. I fell way behind schedule last summer due to heavy equipment availability but finally stood up the tower right before the weather went downhilll. The KPA/KAT500 combo was a lot of fun but, I sold them and picked up a KPA1500. Should have kept them but I’m trying (unsuccessfully) to control the hoarding instincts that so many of us hams have.

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  4. NY4Q

NY4Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom is always ahead of the others. Its just the way it is.

K0UO likes this.
  5. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB regarding the KPA1500. Another very good amp.

Yes, rigs are a matter of personal preference. And I'm fine with quite a few. As long as they perform decently and have a USB sound card interface, I'm good to go.

Brian - K6BRN

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know, but they're a little bit late, there has been over 50,000 , 7300s sold, so Icom already has all the money$$$$$

N2ZD likes this.
  7. N2ZD

N2ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

50001, lol

Attached Files:

KC9ONY and K0UO like this.
  8. WA7F

Ya, I agree. Icom timed the 7300 introduction just right and cashed in. We should like that. If Icom is making decent revenue on amateur radio it will fund NPIs in our segment. Too bad the 9700 had such a rough start. Hopefully, the lesson learned is more hams are willing to spend $ or $$ than $$$.

N3AWS and K0UO like this.
  9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

icom should make a fixed 991a

10. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt if Yaesu will do anything anytime soon, but I hear Ten-Tec is coming out with...
    upload_2020-2-22_0-5-36.jpeg

K3XR, W4NNF and K0UO like this.