When Is The Last Time Your ARES Group Got Called Out?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0EIB, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm involved with a REACT group that as I write this is providing communications for a neighborhood Christmas Parade in San Diego. This is what our particular REACT group does; event communications for things like running events, bicycle events and, until the State Park System priced them out of existence, several back country equestrian events.

The San Diego ARES group has the responsibility of providing communications for hospitals in the event of a major emergency and so far we've never had an actual "call-out." We do participate in state- mandated twice-yearly drills with the county hospital system. We place operators in Balboa Naval Hospital and the Navy Hospital Ship USNS Mercy participates if she's in port during the drill.

KA4DPO likes this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They are constantly being upgraded and updated with newer, more cost effective, even more robust equipment that insures continuity of operations. The old days of ham operators being front and center in a disaster have come to a close. The ARRL will have to find some new scheme to satisfy the extremely exuberant wanna be helper radio types.

ND6M likes this.
  3. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only time the local communication system is updated is when there is money in the budget. And believe me, that ain't very often. Maybe money grows on trees in your city/county, but money doesn't appear that way in mine...

4. KN6SD

Why would Sky Warn want to hide on 4G LTE... The Public, News Media, and other Hams can't get REAL TIME info from a cell coordinated Sky Warn network..

That's the Stupidest thing I've heard in awhile...… Sheeesssh

5. KA4DPO

That's OK, a good robust public safety network is a lot less expensive than it used to be. Probably could buy a decent system with a couple of bake sales.:D

6. KN6SD

Nothing in CA is done cheap... Why would they, they're spending the Tax Payers money, not their own!!!

7. KN6SD

It would be nice to see REACT focus on monitoring 146.520 MHz and CB Channel 9. I believe there is a need in some communities for REACT to ride the radio waves again...

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

It does in my area, All that is needed is a competent person to apply for Federal grants.

9. KA4DPO

It couldn't hurt.

Whatever, they can upgrade their current system for peanuts compared to what it would have cost ten years ago. And they can get state ad federal money to help. since the goal is a Statewide integrated system.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

So will you. ( Grow old.:() Time will tell which occurs first.:rolleyes: