When Is The Last Time Your ARES Group Got Called Out?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0EIB, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But Baofengs are capable of transmitting the antidote...

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I stay as far away from "EmComm" as I can...

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I also. HOWEVER, IF I can assist in any way (based on physical abilities) I WILL activate. But lifting a 90 lb. piece of equipment is out of the question. Or does that make me unacceptable as a"volunteer?"
    I can handle the communication aspects, but leave the heavy lifting to others. I guess in YOUR estimation, I am worthless. OK, I won't bother, since I'm not needed.

4. K2PHD

K2PHD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that ARES activity really depends on what part of the country you live in. I have found that in the mid-west and south that first responder agencies (because of their own sparse manpower) have very good relationships with ham radio and ARES units. In the east and west where towns and cities have well manned first response organizations the ARES relationship is less used. However, Red Cross, Salvation Army and social services agencies and CERT organizations in those areas do continue to see value in ARES. I believe that ARES needs to continue to nurture and expand those relationships to better prove their value.

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KG7LEA

KG7LEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One function of the "emeritus" hams in an emergency would be to elmer the spontaneous volunteers. We have dozens of people every month getting technician licenses and buying CCRs, but they do not participate in preparedness training. When they need the radios they will need some help. Bring out the old guys.

6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I suspect because these folks are the “zombie apocalypse” types. They have no interest in ham radio or ARES other than to be able to throw that CCR in a go bag and be able to use it to talk to their Walking Dead crew....what I don’t get is, do these preppers not realize that when this so called “apocalypse” happens, I doubt the FCC will be worrying about dispatching folks to Hershel’s farm, The Prison or Alexandria to enforce any rules...:rolleyes: