ad: UR5CDX-1

When Is The Last Time Your ARES Group Got Called Out?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0EIB, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KN6SD

KN6SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I laughed out loud when I saw the map... It's just more Cell Industry hype...….

N1VAU and WA9SVD like this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that is what we (or at least I) have been saying all along. In the "routine, populated areas " there is a small (but still possible) chance that the infrastructure WILL be disrupted for hours, days, or even weeks. (Witness the Northridge 'quake, where cell was out, and highways heavily damaged, or the Loma Prieta quake where entire highways collapsed. Was the infrastructure able to easily cope, or was it overwhelmed?
    I'm NOT saying AR is the real "when all else fails" solution, because it may ALSO fail.

But don't forget WA9SVD's 23rd Law: When we plan and design for the "worst case scenario,' nature often comes up with something worse.:(:rolleyes:

3. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, sometimes even the NEWEST generation Jitterbug phones have trouble getting through to the grandkids...

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha ha ha! If you believe that marketing map, then I have swampland, bridges, and lots of other things to sell you. Come out here and try it yourself! Even Verizon, which has the best rural coverage by far (by my own experience and discussion with others) has totally bogus maps like this on their website. Even the interactive ones where you can zoom in on an area are BS.

KV6O and WA9SVD like this.
  5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Name some non-remote populated areas that are without service, please.

6. KL4RQ

KL4RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks might be interested to see how seriously the emergency management folks in one large city take AUXCOMM. As most people are aware, western Oregon and Washington will, one of these days be hit with a major earthquake (the "Cascadia" quake). The science is pretty robust these days, and indicates it will happen. Maybe tomorrow, maybe 50 years from now, but it will happen.

A Cascadia quake will obviously have major impacts on Portland, Oregon. Take a look at Portland's Communications Annex to their Emergency Operation Plan. (It's a rather long PDF, go to page 15).

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For one, didn’t you read my post above about 40 miles of highway without service? And what’s your definition of remote - a mile outside the city limits? Most well populated areas have cell service. That’s the point, money can be made there.

Scattered populations especially with terrain issues likely don’t get cell service as it’s not profitable. Unless there is a well traveled highway nearby, and even then the terrain might be too much trouble.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  8. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Your right, I apologize for that. I should have said if that's what blows anyone's skirt up. Sorry for the

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not all cellular carriers have the same coverage, but between Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, one of them covers almost everywhere. The odds of finding someone who has cell service in any given area are pretty high.

Here is a list of cellular services, many of whom cover under served areas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_wireless_communications_service_providers

I don't laugh, I cringe every time I see someone trying to justify amateur radio as anything other than a fascinating hobby.

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite the coverage maps John you must know, just a few miles west of you has none. I was able contact a ham on 2m when my cellphone was worthless. Leesburg into DC is pretty good. Go out into WV and forget it!

WA9SVD likes this.