When Is The Last Time Your ARES Group Got Called Out?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0EIB, Nov 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

capt obvious.gif

W5TTW and NL7W like this.
  2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And it is irrefutably necessary. Otherwise it is kind of mentally ill.

3. KA4DPO

No, I was serious.

N0TZU likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

This is no fantasy world, it's Washington DC. We really do have a very robust emergency system here in the nations capitol for very obvious reasons, that should not be difficult for anyone to understand.

My thoughts on amateur radio as an emergency service are, if things get so bad that only amateurs would be able to communicate, then my priorities would dictate that ham radio would be an afterthought. Amateur radio is a hobby and we really have no place trying to be more than that.

The entire EMCOM RACES thing has been pushed by ARRL for years as a way to cater to, and get membership dues, from a certain type of people that they identified as a lucrative segment long ago. It was also seen as a very thin way to keep amateur radio relevant, even though the majority of us know that is a pipe dream. But,,, If that's what blows your skirt up and makes you feel important, then by all means spend your time and money on that junk but count me out.

W5TTW, N3AB and NL7W like this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

That's right-thinking!

KA4DPO likes this.
  6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Easy now...;)

WE4B and KA4DPO like this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's your right to your opinion. But it's impolite to get personal.:(

8. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How true. Only remote areas of the US are without coverage these days.
    [​IMG]
    People that choose to live/trek into the mountains/deserts/forests have always assumed the risk of being stranded without communications. If ham radio is the solution, I suggest gifting a radio to the local sheriff's dept or FD. They don't need a ham to operate it, nor do they require a license in an emergency. (Many agencies monitored CB9 back in the 70's.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    KA4DPO likes this.
  9. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Avalanche along a main road? What percentage of the US population is at risk for that? The examples given in this thread are really extreme. Granted, volunteers are need for a lot of things in remote areas because few people reside there and resources are limited , but if it is a reasonably populated area, then shame on the local authorities for not being prepared. There's wildfires and mudslides every year in CA. There's flooding along the Gulf coast every year. Reasonably prudent people plan for these things. Comms were up during Harvey.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    KA4DPO likes this.
  10. KL4RQ

KL4RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Having traveled extensively in the western states, and having a very new phone, including FirstNet access, I can assure you that map is wildly optimistic! Actually, I would tend to use stronger language, but the mods might object.

KN4SKF, KV6O, KJ4VTH and 2 others like this.