When is more than a few watts power needed?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0PKG, Oct 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

And some operators desired communication is to splatter across the whole band. :eek:

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Using that kind of power with a satellite isn't just a waste, it's Poor Amateur Practice. It's no wonder many stations can't get through the FM birds, because the "ol' buddies" with 100+ (or 1000) watts have to yak at their friends on every available pass, until the birds are out of range.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

People want me on sats... 5 watts to my 2m array is over 350 watts eirp... nope to much so nope I won't! I have worked a few off the vertical but it is not the best antenna for it plus I have to manually swap from 2m to 70cm on the FM rig...

4. KH2G

KH2G Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd be doing some serious thinking about my antenna and ground system. :cool: You should be doiing better than that unless your down in a valley or using an inside antenna.

5. W8SPL

W8SPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I do a lot of backpacking & backwoods camping into areas that have zero cellphone service, but they are almost always at least marginally covered by a VHF repeater.

Plenty of times I've done a quick radio check at camp where the HT would not ring the repeater at all, but the mobile would be 'full quieting' w/ 35 watts & it was fun to chat a bit w/ some new people who knew the area. Have had a few campsites where even the full 75 watts from my Yaesu FT 2900 was barely copyable & scratchy, but would still be useful "just incase"...

Also, I like to check into VHF nets in neighboring counties; 30 - 50 watts gets me there w/ only a hint of hiss, a few watts does not. I mainly get on VHF & UHF to get away from all the noise on HF, the last thing I want to hear is scratchy static so I return the favor by running the appropriate power :D

For the local repeaters, 5 watts does the trick. For local simplex, 50 watts does the trick.

If some folks like to run lots of unnecessary power, then I really don't much care unless it is putting people's lives or property at risk; if it's a loud CLEAN and well balanced signal, I'm actually impressed because it seems to be so rare :D. While it is annoying being a few kc's up or down from folks who like to overdrive their linear amps to operate more like a Class C amp, I can easily enough be a mature adult & spin the dial because my life is not at risk & my property is not in danger. Yes, these types of folks are being inconsiderate & highly annoying; however, I find whiny people who tattletale on every little infraction someone else does to be equally annoying, actually more annoying... So I choose not to be either one of them, and when I do run into these types of folks, I simply move away from them ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  6. WA9SVD

No, but blasting 50 watts on a bird is a MORTAL sin.

7. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like this guy needs a decent antenna. i can work the entire globe on 100watts, when the propag is open, if i can hear them, then they can usually hear my 100 watts, unless it's some idiot with a deaf front end and using a 1kw linear !!!

8. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Pat runs HF into a dummy load. He still gets out but has trouble in the pileups!

9. WA9SVD

Fifty watts to a satellite (at least the current LEO's) isn't just a waste, it's inconsiderate and not "Good Amateur Practice."

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Heck 40 watts (can you believe my phone suggests RMS after that?) is inconsiderate. It means no one running 30 watts will get in over you.