ad: M2Ant-1

When is more than a few watts power needed?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N0PKG, Oct 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

We have repeaters 60 miles distant I easily get on "full quiet" with a 5 watts Wouxon handheld.

I have a 5db gain Larson NMO antenna on my truck running ICOM 2710H mobile, which is optimum for the prairie, with low hills up to and including the edge of The Continental Divide.

I think the 5 watts Wouxon is doing so well because the distant repeaters have been improved by a local radio amateur: antennas, power, range.

I run the ICOM on "low" 5 watts because 5 watts is all I need, since the improvement to our repeaters.

If you need "big guns" watts to get in to repeaters, "get active" in supporting the repeaters.

We did: our club, our individuals, donations of time and equipment flowed in because people wanted better coverage of this area.

2. W7CJD

There is nothing ambiguous about it.

It is only "ambiguous" if looking for a "loophole" or any other way to get around it.

Exercize that push-button or twist that knob to reduce power.

If getting a clear communication with no drop-outs off a repeater with "full quiet" that is all anyone needs.

If not, find out more about the repeaters around you, and offer to help with any upgrades to the repeater.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

ยง97.313 Transmitter power standards.

(a) An amateur station must use the minimum transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications.

If not somewhat ambiguous what does the term " necessary to carry out the desired communications" mean exactly? Is it meant to be subject to interpretation by the reader?

To me "desired communication" means the ability to comfortably hear what's being transmitted on both ends of the communication if that requires 1 watt fine if it requires several hundred watts or more so be it why else have a 1.5 KW PEP max? The power requirement not only applies to repeater type communication but all communication with the exceptions as noted in the regulation (30 mtrs. etc.)

4. W7CJD

<sigh>

If you aren't a lawyer, have you considered it might be a second career?

If you desire higher power communication, then you don't desire lower power communication.

:p

I did say: clear communication, no drop-outs, "full quiet".

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not true.

If the net is an emcomm net, or part of a test, sometimes the repeater becomes unavailable. Having stations using high power to get in also allows longer range simplex operations if the need arises.

So, the 'desired communications' would be the use of a repeater with stations already on high power to facilitate the use of simplex should the need or desire to do so arise.

It's up to 'them' to prove we have violated a rule. How can that rule be violated? Aren't all communications 'desired'?

Has the FCC ever issued a citation based on 97.313 alone?

6. W7CJD

Did someone bring up enforcement?

Thank you, for the clarification.

Now, when some "full gallon" or maxed out wattage radio amateur blasts HF and splatters all over the band, I can take comfort that is their "desired communication".

I think those guys may even overload our repeaters.

Maybe that is the problem?

I will ask "our guys" that maintain and own the repeaters around here.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some experience with the law may be helpful but in many instances a strong application of common sense goes a long way. No, but would consider playing one on TV.

8. W7CJD

I had law at university, from a visiting professor from Yale University.

What passes for lawyers, seem to have no respect or regard for law.

They are "debaters".

That lawyer thrives on controversy.

That lawyer shouts down "common sense" in every way.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Splatter and power are two distinct issues.

Law aside, one could run 1,500,000 watts and not splatter.

Really, even determining how much power someone is running, without examining their station, is all but impossible. Unless of course, it isn't enough.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on what you call splatter.

Making all of the Fluorescent bulbs in the neighborhood flicker is splatter to me.