When is "mobile" not "mobile"?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KN4YRM, May 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4YRM

KN4YRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Esoteric ham ethics question, don't blame me for wasting your time if you keep reading!

I plan on turning my car into a "remote" battery powered (not the car's battery) station. Car will be off and stationary in my driveway, I'll operate the radio from inside over wifi on days when rain & lightning threaten. I disconnect antennas from the inside-the-house shack altogether.

I don't plan on connecting the outdoor antenna to the radio in the car, instead just a simple single-band hamstick in a magmount on the roof of the car.

I don't plan on adding "mobile" when I call to a DX station or in a contest, but I'm curious what y'all think about the "ethics" of doing so under the circumstances above. Seems like a lot of stations will give a little preference when they hear mobile in a pileup. Seems to me that preference is because the mobile station's propagation could change at any moment, not just because they're using a compromised antenna.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Personally I wouldn't consider that mobile or even portable.

K3XR, KA0HCP and KN4YRM like this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Me thinks u lookin to cheat...

4. KN4YRM

KN4YRM Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah. Can't say I wouldn't add "mobile" if I was literally driving around, but in this case I would not. I have not actually done HF mobile, but on 2m I know that you can go from full quieting on a repeater to dropping off because of an overpass or any number of reasons, I assume it's the same for HF, and thus the courtesy and contest class. My remote station is really just me using my car as a waterproof box outside on days I don't want antenna lines coming to the house.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no longer a requirement to sign portable or mobile. Has not been the case for some number of years. Just give your call...you'll be fine.

6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"not the car's battery" cinched it: it's not a mobile station.

Signing "mobile" from the Barcalounger isn't mobile unless said Barcalounger is installed in your car.

Sheesh!

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What if my Barcalounger has wheels on it? :D

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you're the luckiest kid in the neighborhood. ;)

K3XR likes this.
  9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I had HF mobile, I would only sign mobile when operating the station either actually moving or if I was away from my general area of my license. While not a requirement to sign portable or mobile sometimes it is easier to let someone know that you aren't operating from your license station location. I I was using an antenna on my vehicle but operating from my shack I wouldn't sign mobile.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. KD8WU

KD8WU Ham Member QRZ Page

It also adds +20 dB to your signal.