When is an FT8 QSO finished?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AB8MA, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have noticed that often, when I respond to a dx CQ, and get their first reply with my signal report, that's the end of it. No RRR or RR73, just another CQ or replies to other stations. Is there a subset of FT8 users who consider a single reply sufficient? I do not log these. I could, by sending an RR73, but I do not.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you!! Not a complete QSO. And discourteous, too.

Description of a complete QSO is in the WSJT manual. Imagine a world where everyone read the instructions!

KT5WB, K0UO, WU8Y and 1 other person like this.
  3. PA3GCU

PA3GCU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob.

If you set "Prompt me to Log QSO" in file > Settings > Reporting.
    Then if someone does not send you RRR, RR73 or i belive 73 also, then the qso will not get logged.
    So this must prove that you have a good operating practice.
    If it is of any concern, i do not log qso's without a received RR73, etc, either.

Have a good one.
    73 Richard PA3GCU.

4. KZ4KX

KZ4KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Some ops will send a "qso b4" and move on. But I consider it rude and they go into the "do not log list" and are ignored from there on. And qsl requests are rejected.

5. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've never seen that, but JT Alert pretty much allows me to avoid previously worked stations. That is, stations already in the log that I worked on that band.

6. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've seen the same thing but I just assume that I got QRMed so he moved on. On more than one occasion I monitored for a while and gave him a call after he completes another contact and this time the QSO completes in the normal manner. By the way, you don't have to send an RR73 to open the log. You can click on the log button at any time to open it to log a QSO even if you have the automatic box checked.

7. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. I have noticed an increasing number of OPs that give up after 2 attempts.
    Agreed. I decide when to log, not the software.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

That is EXACTLY an issue I found on Field Day. Many times I would get called by a station, and never got an RR 73 or a 73, so I decided it was an INCOMPLETE QSO! Sometimes I would resend my data 5 or 10 times and the station had just gone away. Maybe he logged me, But I didn't log him! If I logged every station who responded to my CQ, I would have had TWICE as many contacts. Only after a RR 73 did I log the QSO.. Of course I did all my logging on my paper log, and then transcribed them into the N3FJP as a moment was found. All my completed QSOs were logged, it was well over 100, but if I logged everyone who called me, it would have been closer to 200 or more!

K9ASE and VE1DDD like this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

An FT8 QSO is not complete until it has been denounced on The Zed as the end of amateur radio!

WB5YUZ, KG5RZ, WU8Y and 4 others like this.
  10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I too consider that to be rude.

In JT65 days, I'd meet the same stations every evening. We'd delight in using weak signal work for the best advantage: compare signal reports from previous nights, sensitive evaluation of antenna tweaks, changes in propagation condx, etc. That was fun!!!

Oh and another thing about jtalert that really frosts me: apparently all 6 land stations are interchangable. No allowance for /P, etc. Got one 6er got em all! WAS in an afternoon!! Duh.