ad: KF7PMW-1

When did hams start paying attention to gray-line propagation effects?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Apr 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is very nice and the dial o map is similar to the Grundig one I have although it is a lot larger, not attached to the radio. Looks to be in excellent condition and a interesting collectable.

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was aware of this phenomenon but hadn't really tried to exploit it. I work nights so I'm almost always awake at both sunrise and sunset and, depending on time of year and work load, can often make it to the shack IF I feel up to bothering.

This morning I decided to give it a try and wandered down to the shack around sunrise. 0652 local (local sunrise 0700) I was tuning around 40m and worked VK3MO - with my barefoot 100W FT-990 into an inverted vee doublet with the apex at MAYBE 25'. :) (Yeah, yeah - that's temporary and I'm going to raise it. I put it "temporarily" up where I could back last summer...) Granted Ian is pretty much the definition of "big gun" but still that's grey line in action. And I have an S7 noise level.

W0VRA likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Good job! Yes - it really does work.

Dave
    W7UUU